View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #126
stugray
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,925
Thanks: 627
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
He says the variable valve timing device fails, leading to oil pressure to the rest of the engine low enough to destroy it but not low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light, which only glows at 4psi or less.


This makes perfect sense.


I haven't read all the pages, but in the OP's case I suspect the tech didn't put enough oil in at the last change. My understanding is that dealerships don't use jugs but rather a device on which you set a knob to determine how much goes in. Faulty setting or device + tech not checking dipstick = ruined engine.
I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I say the Techs are full of shit.
The Tune can in no way affect the oil pressure in the system (that I can think of).

The only exception would be a bug in the VVT AND a flaw in the system that would allow oil pressure to drop if the VVT was commanded to change position continuously (failed cam position sensor?)
Maybe (I doubt it) the VVT system can reduce pressure in the rest of the system if not commanded properly?

Now I'd like to see a detailed diagram of ll of the oil passages in this engine.
Over here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=pressure

Makes me wonder if a bad tune, or a failed cam position sensor can starve the engine of oil pressure.
If this failure mode has any basis in reality, then Toy/Sub would have zero problem blaming an engine failure on an aftermarket tune....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote