View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,484 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Finally clicked on the ad and I must say it's not as bad as I thought, it certainly looks tacky but it's the kind of car that could hold it's own parked in a row of cars at any non-specific car show. Especially considering it's now 20 years old.

But I must agree with posters above, wouldn't spend any money on this model car at all, does not tickle my pickle, float my boat or get me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am going to compound that statement with this- I wouldn't know a good Supra from a bad Supra as I could not possibly care less about Supras! Or any other prior Toyota ever made for that matter.
I thought the same way until a few months ago, rode along in a MK2 (1981-1986) and it was fantastic. At the end of it's run in other countries it was putting down nearly 180 horses and 210 ft-lbs of torque from a 2.8L NA I6 in a 3,000 lb chassis with what is now standard independent suspension using modern shocks and disc brakes all around. A lot closer to today's Toyobaru than any Corolla imo, I feel like they went back to 1985 and said: 'Let's get Supra performance in a car that is as economically viable for our customers as a Corolla' and voila: Toyobaru. But I'm probably crazy.

Worth noting: I would totally buy a first generation MR2, this Supra is much further down the 'would buy with money' list, but the MR2 is probably top 5 for me right now, probably the only Toyota car I will ever buy for myself from this day forward (maybe a truck, but unlikely). I like boxy cars, they're cheap and they perform marvelously with some blood sweat and tears.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Atropine (01-11-2015), Dadhawk (01-10-2015), juliog (01-10-2015), Tcoat (01-10-2015)