GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_Fern View Post
I currently have an intake that requires the removal of my front bumper to change the filter. This process has become cumbersome, and I'm on my third pair of sidemarkers (those damn clips!). Therefore, I'm considering replacing my current intake to GrimmSpeed's. Am I correct to assume that I'm going to have to search my attic for the cone of the stock air intake? ...the stock piece that sucks air from inside the front bumper in front of the air box.
Yep, we call that the snorkel. I would go so far as to say that this piece is an absolute must. Not only because it provides colder air, but because it also helps with the distribution of air into the airbox. Back when we were first testing the intake we did some dyno pulls with no snorkel, and the power output was about the same as the stock intake with snorkel. I even wrote an article you can find here on measuring the restriction of the stock intake where I found data that showed that the snorkel was not a restriction, but rather provided a pressure gain, which I thought was cool. However, we also dyno tested the popular "modded snorkel" which i do not suspect has the same pressure gain, and it is good for about 2whp at the very top of the rev range with no losses anywhere else, and only a minor change to AFRs.

Thats WAY more information than you needed. I should have just said "yes," but I kind of love this stuff

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Cesium Rainbow (08-06-2015), CxG (08-05-2015), MrBlaze-65 (12-15-2014)