View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #86
chimmy
Because BOXER
 
chimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 119
Thanks: 29
Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Ok, so I'm the moron Puerto Rican. Or whatever. I'm not even Puerto Rican.

I'm using a Borla UEL. And like B-R-Z, rumble, is what registers for me. 500 dollars for 10whp, does not. Got the UEL at a discounted used price, so I didn't exactly spend 600 dollars for rumble.

Using an o2 spacer, CEL with in 200 miles. P219A and whatever the other one is that is more common. Both CELs, everytime, no matter what insert I used for the spacer, small-medium-large-none. This doesn't always happen to everyone though. I know of a few here who will swear by a spacer. I can't tell you why it affects some and doesn't others, because I don't know.

Leaving CEL on, MPG and performance, took a nose dive. Went from 29-31 consistently, to 24-25 at best.

What got me, is that on the factory manifold, the primary o2 is sitting in the collector getting readings from all cylinders, where as, on every aftermarket header, it sits in a runner coming off one cylinder. I don't know why its like this, or its benefit. I'm no fucking engineer, and I won't pretend to be a fucking keyboard engineer either.

So, my solution, was buying a 10 dollar o2 bung that came with a plug. Put the plug in the primary o2 spot. Installed primary o2 in to the secondary o2 spot [so now, it will get AF readings from all cylinders, instead of just one]. Took the 10 dollar bung, and welded it myself to the factory front pipe, after the secondary cat. The secondary o2, will now read AF coming out of the very first cat in the exhaust system. Just like from factory. Wow. Such science.

6k miles driven, not a single blip in performance, MPG averaging in 30.x consistently with normal driving and occasional WOT. Above all else, no CEL.

Yet.

I won't say it will work forever, but it works for now, and works a lot better for me than a spacer did. Throw as much hate on me as you want, whatever, its working. Other people happy to drop 500 for a tune to get the 'MOST' out of your UEL, good for you, I won't go in to your threads and call you stupid for doing it. Nor do I think you are stupid for doing it. People want what they want, I wanted rumble with no CEL without dropping an extra 500 on a tune. And thats what I got.

And I've already explained to B-R-Z that because its working for me, doesn't mean it will for him or anyone. Just the same way that a spacer doesn't seem to work for everyone either.

Last edited by chimmy; 08-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.
chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote