View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #35
Thrilled

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That sounds like fun to do an A/B comparison since both cars are otherwise stock. I'm around all Summer and can probably organize this on most weekends (unless we take a family trip). Usually, I will need a week's notice sort out the schedule.

Allegedly there's a KOP area group that meets up at the AMC near the mall, but I haven't managed to swing by there on a Monday night (7:30) to see if they are there. We have a few FRS in the KOP area.

My office is down in Delco, so we aren't' too far from each other. The test wouldn't take long to setup if stationary. When moving, that's a little more tricky.

For a simpler method, you can download Signal Scope for iPhone from Faber Acoustical. It's a good spectrum analyzer FFT and should be calibrated for any generation iPhone. Not sure if they offer an Android version. If we configure the FFT the same, then we can capture screen shots under various driving conditions.

Studio Six Digital offers a low cost SPL app that can be calibrated and used to compare SPL with various weighting. So long as the calibrations match and the mounting method is the same in the vehicle, then the comparison is easy and valid.

With the FFT app, similar comparisons can be made and you also get spectral information (which frequencies stand out in level).

By moving your FFT to different parts of the car, you can track down specific sound level changes which might indicate other places to add treatment.
Thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote