View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Location: Secret Volcano Base in Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 801
Thanks: 3,372
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Automatic Acceleration in Manual vs Auto modes

I was having a conversation about throttle response with @feldy and he mentioned the difference he feels between auto and manual modes in the automatic when accelerating off the line:


"I do notice sometimes in manual mode the car feels sluggish off the line but leaving it in auto feels much faster off the line. Not sure why this is but I notice it a lot."




Now that he mentioned it, I have the same feels about off-the-line differences between auto and manual mode. I'm going to go do some pulls and see if I can actually quantify a difference with logs just using Dash Command on the street.


I'd like to see how other auto drivers feel, and see if we can test the following scenarios just pulling through first gear from a stop:


1. Auto, Sport OFF, VSC OFF, Traction Control ON
2. Manual, Sport OFF, VSC OFF, Traction Control ON
3. Auto, Sport ON, VSC OFF, Traction Control ON
4. Manual, Sport ON, VSC OFF, Traction Control ON
5. Auto, Sport OFF, VSC ON, Traction Control ON
6. Manual, Sport OFF, VSC ON, Traction Control ON
7. Auto, Sport ON, VSC ON, Traction Control ON
8. Manual, Sport ON, VSC ON, Traction Control ON
9. Auto, Sport OFF, VSC OFF, Traction Control OFF
10. Manual, Sport OFF, VSC OFF, Traction Control OFF
11. Auto, Sport ON, VSC OFF, Traction Control OFF
12. Manual, Sport ON, VSC OFF, Traction Control OFF


Wow, that's a lot more scenarios than I first thought... Initially I was just thinking of auto vs manual, but you have to take into consideration all the other settings.

Please post your thoughts, results (measured or 'felt') and any relevant car mods or other contributing factors you can think of.


My gut instinct without going out to the car and trying it yet, is that in manual mode, the tranny locks up the torque converter asap and is relying only on the power of the engine, while in auto mode it might leave the torque converter unlocked longer, netting more torque to the wheels for longer...?




tagging some of the folks I know drive autos and also SSP to see their thoughts...

@Tye300 @chiefshayan @Lunatic @poptopclk @connor_lol @Covo_86 @Autocon @whataboutbob @Hardrock4445 @Captain Insano @Lonewolf @sspkris @s2d4 @DeOppressorLiber @FastWhite



Thanks everyone!
I'll post up as soon as I get logs...
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote