Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94
I just hope we don't get screwed like those 2008 WRX guys did when the very next year horsepower jumped from 225 to 265.
|
As a preface to the following comment, I was originally planning on buying an '05 WRX.
As the proud owner of an '08 WRX, people need to calm down and take a ride in an '08 before they say tings like this.
First, the "225" is WAY stronger than previous 225's. (From what I hear, of course). I have an intake (injen) which probably doesn't do anything but sounds cool, and my car may or may not be definitely quicker in all situations than a 4-door, 6MT, RWD E90 330i. (260sh "horsepower"). So we didn't get screwed as much as you think.
Having a tiny turbo sometimes sucks becasue it does, for sure, run out of air at redline; the throttle response is great and I can cruise down back roads at 4th - 2.5-3k RPMs and have plenty enough power to get out of corners.
The suspension is too soft for track days, but it's comfortable enough that my mom and girlfriend actualy
like riding in my car. It's not that sloppy, now that I have steering rack bushings (plan to get sway bars and stop there), and again is great for uneven back roads and Atlanta city streets.
Even though it's bigger (looks bloated :/) and much nicer in the interior, they are inbetween (depends on where you get your numbers) 50 lbs lighter and 50 lbs heavier than the old WRXs, and have much better rear suspension.
Performance-wise, it's VERY close to an '09, nothing a little of aftermarket can more than fix. And, it's more comfortable. Overall, it's a great balance between civility and sportiness. And no WRX is really ideal as a track car, with the engine way out past the front axle, anyway.
ON-TOPIC, I wouldn't be scared to buy first year; I'm planning on buying a lightly-used early production one in 2013-2015 and making a track car out of it