View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #5971
TM
Senior Member
 
TM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 758
Thanks: 223
Thanked 359 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I found that the ESC does indeed make the car more fun, but in a different way. When I had to remove my ESC for about 2 weeks. I noticed that I had to work harder to extract performance from the car. It was very rewarding working the gearbox and throttle to keep the engine in it's sweet spot. Really hustling the car around has it's rewards. I could better feel where Tadasan was going with the design. I felt like I was growing again as driver. The car was made to drive like a proper light weight sports car that a person can live with day to day. I'd never sell it, even without the extra Phantom power from Rob.

With the ESC's power and torque reaching the limits of the chassis and stock tires happens A LOT faster. 60-90 in 4th gear is a couple of blinks. 100+ is familiar territory. This makes the car feel more engaged on the highway, and edgier on curvy roads. It's as quick as it sounds now. The driving experience is more like a "light and nimble GT". I don't have to work to get the power. For daily driving this is a godsend. The performance envelope has grown so now to challenge myself responsibly and get that sports car experience, the car and Phantom ESC need to go to the track.
I agree with how you feel. I remember once before I had the ESC, I drove next an older gentlemen with a Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet on the highway. And then he was really hauling. I tried my best to keep up with him, downshifting and revving near redline just to not lose him.

After a minute or two, he drove next to me, gave me a smile and a thumbs up, and then we went our separate ways. Awesome experience.

With the ESC. I don't even need to try to accelerate in normal daily driving now.
__________________
TM is offline   Reply With Quote