View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #1006
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Well that makes me feel better that I can't manage to hit the first apex end up trailbraking. I guess that's a good way to do it, then. LOL

I try to mimic this guy, but can't :

I'm a bit better here, but still not hitting it like the guy above

It's difficult trying to interpret what's happening from these videos, but here's what I see: The Stiglet (heh) turns in earlier than you, is on a "flatter" approach, and is describing more of a parabolic line than your more rounded line.

Stiglet's line probably allows later braking, and because it's so flat (nearly straight), he can brake harder down into the apex and carry more speed than you up to that point. His parabolic line appears to use less road out to the right at mid-corner compared to your line.

This appears to be one of those corners where one does not WANT to use all of the available road.

At the "pointy end" of the parabola, Stiglet makes a sharper turn, mid-corner, than you do. Observe the amount of steering lock that he needs to dial in mid-corner; it's much more than you (and I doubt that's all attributable to differences in your respective steering rack ratios). That engine hung out behind the rear axle probably helps him flick that thing around briskly. The trick (as always) is to keep that all under control and pointed in the right direction.

Stiglet makes this into a sharper, single radius corner, while your approach makes it into a 2-part decreasing radius corner.

So? What should you do to try this?

Turn in just a bit sooner on a flatter trajectory down towards that first apex. Get that left front wheel right down there. Take it slowly, though, because now you've got a shorter radius turn (sharper at mid-corner) to get it headed back towards your second "apex." Start ridiculously slow, and then work the speed up. At some point you should feel that you've reached a happy compromise between the sharper mid-corner turn and the benefit of carrying much more speed down into that mid-corner flick.

I see it as the REAL APEX is out in the center of the road, mid-corner; you just happen to clip the borders of the roadside on the way into and then out of that corner.

If you find you're dropping a wheel off into the OUTSIDE dirt at midcorner, I think you've charged in a wee bit too fast, so slow it down.

You don't want to find yourself sitting upside down in the dirt outside 2-3, hanging from your belts, and saying, "Oh, okay..."

Last edited by Porsche; 04-30-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-30-2014), kavanagh (04-30-2014), orthojoe (04-30-2014), solidONE (04-30-2014)