View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigunz View Post
ive seen threads about blown motors, can this electric s/c cause the same problems?
A blown engine could be caused by a number of things, this is true for NA or boosted. An engine under any boost increases the chances of going out due to increased stresses and fatigue. Typically in forced induction(FI) applications(super/turbocharger) engine failure it is due to either running too lean (too much air to fuel ratio), or over-boost. The former depends primarily on your tune. If at all possible, use a tune/tuner who has experience or a proven track record with the car/setup. That's not to say something couldn't fail, but a quality tune goes along way to protecting the engine. The second problem, of over boosting is not an issue with the phantom. The ESC is only able to produce about 4.5 psi max, and drops off to around 2 psi at higher rpms, where the engine is under the most stress. This is the lowest boost out of any F/I application, and translates to less stress on the engine over time. Also there are no wastegates or vacuum lines that can fail and cause the to boost to spike to dangerous levels.

It is relatively new, and only a handful have been testing for an extended period of time (longer than a year), this is a guess, but I believe there are about 40 to 50 running this setup, to my knowledge no one has blown their motor while running the Phantom.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote