View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Roads worthy of a Vacation

Many people talk about "Road Trip" vacations on Rte. 66 or Hwy. 1 on the west coast. There are many long roads to take a trip on and see the sites. But these are not the roads that I'm interested in. What I'm thinking about is a vacation in an area with lots curvy roads to drive on. Not talking about racing through countryside, causing a ruckess and getting into trouble. Just a fun drive where the laws allow a challenge to ones skills behind the wheel. Plan your trips, make the reservations you need and enjoy driving in places that you've never been. County maps with more detail can be downloaded from many DOT websites and printed as you like.

So now I will invite you to enjoy an area that I like to drive, but I will ask you to behave and not make it hard for others to enjoy. Attracting the attention the County Mounties will ruin a good thing for everyone. To start, I'll descibe an area that I'm familiar with and hope that this turns into something that many can use and enjoy.

In Wisconsin, there is an area of rolling farmland bounded by I-94, I-90 and the Mississippi river. There are many little towns or campgrounds to stay in, pending on your needs. In this area many of the roads started as milk roads through the valleys and hills, tight or sweeping curves can be found easily. You can pick nearly any numbered or lettered road and find many fun curves to cruise on. Coulee's can be fun, but some are dead ends, so choose them carefully. Sceinic river runs can be found when you are ready to relax. Many quaint places to stop for food or a break, some in odd locations. On Hwy 95, from Fountain City to Arcadia, there's a sweeping curve over the top of one hill with a Tavern that is decorated with old lunch boxes and other antiquities, pretty good food. My favorite view is down Hwy 88, there is a spot after you crest the hill looking down at the road beyond, you see an arrow pointing left and the road dissappears. The road reappears and you see and arrow pointing right and the road dissappears. The road reappears and you see and arrow pointing left and the road dissappears. Needless to say that this is a fun section of road to go down.

Perfect, thank you all. This is turning out as I hoped it would. Please don't stop, keep adding good places to drive. Driving enthusiasts are always looking for the challenge of their skills and their cars limits. And I can see that I am overdue for a few visits to friends and family.

Adding a link to curvy roads (because I've learned something new) throughout the US and I pray that we use them enjoyably and safely. FYI, there are more roads in WI, not shown in this site that are worth running or riding, than you could imagine. Best source will always be DOT county maps.

A website to inspire all of us to a new driving experience. http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...es-__3082.html

Update No. 1: Finally got a chance to run on the Dragon, with fairly new Michelin PSS's. All I can say is OMFG, that was incredible. Definitely have to do that again and again.

Last edited by Blu-by-U; 09-14-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Update No. 1
Blu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blu-by-U For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-17-2014), Manji (04-04-2015), SirBrass (03-09-2014)