View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
brn12345
Senior Member
 
brn12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 254
Thanks: 101
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Transient ignition and knock count

So after testing out various fuels to see the impact on IAM and Knock I found that the local premium fuel we have still makes the car knock and hence I end up with a low IAM (0.2 to 0.3). I also figured out that on full throttle there was minimal to no knock using the local premium fuel. In a bid to find out where the knock was being detected I did long logs (15min plus) of point A to point B and tried to include most driving conditions. As a picture is worth a thousand words, I attach a picture of a log I did with BRZedit using the custom feature. I looked at RPM and Engine Load as the axis and Sum of Knock Correction to populate the table. As you can see it is very clear that the problem area is in the 2250-3000 RPM and 0.6-0.7 Grev. So I started looking at map tables to try and see where this problem could be resolved and I found the Transient Igntion Retard table (attached). I went ahead and circled in green the area on this table that corresponds to the "knocky" area on the log and as is clear there is no transient retard being applied.


My next test will be to increase the Transient Ignition Retard in the 0.6 to 0.7 Grev range from 0 to 3200 RPM to -7 degrees. I will then log a similar log and report.


Comments would be great especially if you have tried something similar, I know a few more proficient guys on here have tried to resolve the knock issue before.
Attached Images
  
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote