View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
Just because Porsche for some reason thinks so doesn't make it true, the lower you are sitting the worse you visibility of the road in front of you is, particularly closer to the car, sure it will make the center of gravity of the car a fraction of an inch lower, but that's a poor trade off for visibility.
With my seat in the lowest position, the car still only blocks visibility of the pavement a few feet in front of it. Visibility of that area is pretty much never critical, and even if you raise the seat all the way up, it only allows you to see a little bit of extra space anyways. As I recall from test drives, the BRZ is similar. There's really no problem with forward visibility in that car - the hood doesn't block your view much, no matter what seating position you are in.

As for why low is a benefit? It's not for CG purposes - as you said, that isn't going to be a significant difference across any reasonable range of seat adjustments. Instead, it puts the driver in a better position to feel what the chassis is doing, since it puts the driver closer to the chassis and closer to the axis around which the car rolls in corners. As a result, it helps the driver react faster and be more confident in the way the car performs.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote