View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Took dream job, but for pay cut

Hey guys,

First off, I normally am not the type of person to post personal things on a forum, but there is a first for everything right? and I really need someone to vent to. Yesterday was a crazy day for me, but in a good way (I hope). For starters, I am 31 and recently married. My wife is in her final stage of clinicals, and hoping a good job comes her way soon. But for now I am 90% of our income. Her parents give us a monthly check to help out while she is in school, so we are very comfortable as is. I have been with my company for 4 years, and make decent money. Its a great company, the people are awesome, but for the past two years I have been extremely unhappy. I took a promotion a few years ago and I was starting to feel the job just did not fit my personality. Its an extremely stressful job, 11-12 hour days, no lunch break, and working most weekends. Oh, and we are also on call after hours throughout the night. I put up with it because well, it paid the bills. But I came home crabby and complained to my wife every day. It was the closest I have ever felt to depression. I started feeling guilty about that, so the past year I have just bottled up my frustrations. Recently, a job opening became available which on paper, is the one job I have wanted to do my entire life. Yes, it is car related. Its the only thing that ever came naturally to me, its my #1 passion in life, and it truly makes me beyond happy. I told my wife for the heck of it, I am going to apply. My gut feeling wasn't sure what the outcome would be. A month goes by and I never heard back. I just figured, well, I gave it a shot and if its meant to be, its meant to be. Until last week. The owner of the company emailed me and said the job was still available and he would love to meet with me. We met yesterday and hit it off so well. He was a super down to earth nice guy. The job description he explained to me was exactly what I was looking for in a career. Its my first Mon-Fri job ever, and stills offers full benefits, PTO, and holiday pay. He then offered me the job on the spot, and I accepted it. It all happened so suddenly and caught me off guard, but for me this opportunity does not come around often. Now, I am taking a $3/hr pay cut to start out. Its what I made when I started my previous company. This is going to be a decent financial hit for us at the moment. I have been crunching numbers all night, and I don't see it crippling us, but it will be noticeable. Did I make the right choice? Was it extremely selfish of me to take my dream job when my wife is on the tail end of getting hers? She is very happy for me and excited, but scared at the same time, and I don't blame her. I am trying to look long term though. Within six months, we will be dual income for the first time in our lives, and I think things will be easier. I guess im not sure what advice im looking for since I already accepted the job, but some feedback would be appreciated. I think I just need a forum hug telling me "everything will be ok". Thanks for letting me rant.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
autobrz (09-13-2013), bakerr6 (09-13-2013), Diode Dynamics (09-12-2013), M-17 (09-12-2013), sklimo (09-12-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-13-2013)