Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Spec-D Headlights Retrofit? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98415)

YamahaR86 12-03-2015 01:12 PM

Spec-D Headlights Retrofit?
 
Did anyone do the Spec-D Headlights retrofit yet? I'm not a light output snob, but the stock projectors are pretty shitty even when I upgraded to D2S HID Bulbs.

Was planning on getting some projectors from TRS and installing, maybe Morimoto but not sure if the size will be too small or too big.

go_a_way1 12-03-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 2468995)
Did anyone do the Spec-D Headlights retrofit yet? I'm not a light output snob, but the stock projectors are pretty shitty even when I upgraded to D2S HID Bulbs.

Was planning on getting some projectors from TRS and installing, maybe Morimoto but not sure if the size will be too small or too big.

I Just got 55W HID's and light output is great, but the spread sucks !!

In for pics of the diffrence when you do this

ryoma 12-03-2015 03:57 PM

be careful of using 55W HID bulbs in some projectors as not all projectors are made to handle 55W. if it isn't made to handle 55W, you will burn the bowl in the projector eventually and have a poor performing/useless headlight setup.

as for the spec-D, I'm pretty sure you can retrofit any type of projector from TRS in there but it will be a matter of how much work you are willing to put in. I believe the mini D2S projector is one of the easier to install

go_a_way1 12-03-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoma (Post 2469169)
be careful of using 55W HID bulbs in some projectors as not all projectors are made to handle 55W. if it isn't made to handle 55W, you will burn the bowl in the projector eventually and have a poor performing/useless headlight setup

Thanks for the heads up! I like to live on the edge though :thumbup:

They have been in for over a year and so far so good.

YamahaR86 12-03-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoma (Post 2469169)
be careful of using 55W HID bulbs in some projectors as not all projectors are made to handle 55W. if it isn't made to handle 55W, you will burn the bowl in the projector eventually and have a poor performing/useless headlight setup.

as for the spec-D, I'm pretty sure you can retrofit any type of projector from TRS in there but it will be a matter of how much work you are willing to put in. I believe the mini D2S projector is one of the easier to install

Do you know the size of the mini D2S Projector? If I pull apart the Spec-D and measure it I may be able to do something if I know the sizes of the new ones I'm putting in, don't want to go in blind and have to test sizes.

Only retrofit I've done is a projector install for motorcycles. Even then, the only projector I've used in those are the FX-Rs. Install was simple enough, just need to build a bracket to mount it on and retain the adjustment points, then throw a overlay shroud on it.

ryoma 12-03-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 2469242)
Do you know the size of the mini D2S Projector? If I pull apart the Spec-D and measure it I may be able to do something if I know the sizes of the new ones I'm putting in, don't want to go in blind and have to test sizes.

Only retrofit I've done is a projector install for motorcycles. Even then, the only projector I've used in those are the FX-Rs. Install was simple enough, just need to build a bracket to mount it on and retain the adjustment points, then throw a overlay shroud on it.

you can find the dimensions for the projectors on the TRS website. here are the specs for the mini D2S
DIMENSIONS
Max Height:95mm
Max Width:100mm
Max Depth:145mm
O Lens Diameter:3 inch
X Lens Diameter:2.75 inch
Mounting Shaft: Diameter = 35mm
Lock Nut:Size = 46mm
Housing Depth:Minimum = 117m
Lens Diameter: 3"
Size: Medium


when I retrofitted the FX-R, all I did was cut a hole in the back of my housing and JB weld it all together lol. however, it was simple (just time consuming to align properly) since I had a sealed beam housing. the housing for the 86 might be a bit harder.

DustinS 12-04-2015 12:01 PM

TheRetrofitSource Spec-D Retro-Quik Kit

YamahaR86 12-04-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinS (Post 2470006)

Are these for "our" spec-d though? I know Spec-D sells different lights for different vehicles and can't imagine they're all the same projector sizes.

One review on it and says
Quote:

Lights are awesome, but the mounting holes on the plate does not line up the projectors perfectly, so drilling is required.

Besides that they are great
If that is all it needs and it fits I'll order it soon and maybe a write up.

DustinS 12-04-2015 12:13 PM

I would imagine they are using the same projector. Makes it much easier/cheaper for them.

Note the addition message from TRS about fixing the brackets. You could call them up and ask, they have some of the best customer service you will find and can definitely help answer your question.

If you do call, it would be worth placing your order over the phone and seeing if you can get the new Mini H1 7.0 projectors in it. I can't remember if they have started including them in the kits or not, but the new Mini H1 7s are out, and much better than the 6's. Just bought them to upgrade my stock headlights from the 6's.

Morimoto Mini H1 7.0

YamahaR86 12-04-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinS (Post 2470019)
I would imagine they are using the same projector. Makes it much easier/cheaper for them.

Note the addition message from TRS about fixing the brackets. You could call them up and ask, they have some of the best customer service you will find and can definitely help answer your question.

If you do call, it would be worth placing your order over the phone and seeing if you can get the new Mini H1 7.0 projectors in it. I can't remember if they have started including them in the kits or not, but the new Mini H1 7s are out, and much better than the 6's. Just bought them to upgrade my stock headlights from the 6's.

Morimoto Mini H1 7.0

Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to get in touch with Spec-D first to see if they'll release me any information regarding their projectors, then I'll start working on TRS towards aftermarket.

DustinS 12-04-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 2470087)
Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to get in touch with Spec-D first to see if they'll release me any information regarding their projectors, then I'll start working on TRS towards aftermarket.

Interested in why you are going about it that way. Keep us updated.

YamahaR86 12-04-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinS (Post 2470149)
Interested in why you are going about it that way. Keep us updated.

I want to see the sizing of the projectors, if it's the same for all of their products without having to actually open the headlights yet (no point in opening them up to measure and have to reseal when I don't even have aftermarket to put in).

DustinS 12-04-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 2470184)
I want to see the sizing of the projectors, if it's the same for all of their products without having to actually open the headlights yet (no point in opening them up to measure and have to reseal when I don't even have aftermarket to put in).

Why not just call TRS, or email them. Then you only have one call, and if it is a yes, then can order.

- Edit: Contacted TRS, they said the reto-quik kit fits any spec-d headlight that uses a projector.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.