Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   AMG (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94157)

jdmblood 08-31-2015 10:53 PM

AMG
 
1 Attachment(s)
Who here has owned an AMG? I hear completely opposite stories with these cars. One friend has one with 250,000 miles and no issues. Then i hear about amg's constantly breaking down.

Lets just make this a place to discuss AMG's as well.

jdmblood 08-31-2015 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gonna change my username to "Amgblood"

swarb 08-31-2015 11:39 PM

Mercedes aren't known to be reliable to begin with. Your friend is probably a liar or isn't telling you the whole truth, does he really have an amg? With that said, mercedes are overweight at the only ones "to have" are the amg's or one with a v8. My experiences with mercedes,, the older 80's ones were good, "built like tanks" is a good description and the newer ones under daimler chrysler were full of electrical problems and fit and finish problems over time. My friend has a 2010ish c63 and he has zero problems but tires won't last more than 6-8k miles as the traction control is constantly fighting for grip.

NWFRS 09-01-2015 12:24 AM

A buddy of mine has had two.

The first was a 2002 E55 AMG in silver. I think he may have fitted it with new tires and performed an oil change, but apart from that it didn't cost him much. He drove it for about a year before someone made him a crazy offer he couldn't turn down. At the end of the day he thought the car was boring and the suspension felt like "wagon wheels on cobbles".

So he contined to drive his old 1992 Lexus SC400.

A few months ago he got into a 2007 E63 AMG. It's black and the exhaust gives you goosebumps and makes you giggle. It has a 6.3 litre V8. That car will do 140mph and feel like it's doing 60mph. AMAZING car. It has around 80k miles on it. Sadly, the rear subframe dropped out onto the road last week at 25mph for no apparent reason and damaged the rear suspension and differential. Apparently it's a thing. My buddy tells me that Mercedes issued a recal for that problem and has been real good about honoring it, probably out of embarrassment. Additionally, he got the dealer to throw in an extended warranty at the time of purchase so he figures he's covered one way or another. Luckily he hadn't sold his Lexus yet, so he's got something to drive in the month it will take to fix the AMG.

So. By all means, get an AMG. They're freaking awesome. But you'd better be capable of fixing it when it goes wrong, because it will cost more to fix than a Japanese car.

Metabrz 09-01-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWFRS (Post 2376151)
It has a 6.3 litre V8.


Actually its a 6.2 but for whatever reason some boffin decided 6.3 looked better as a badge.


THE best NA motor ever built IMO.

jdmblood 09-01-2015 07:19 AM

@swarb yes he has a w211 e55 that I've ridden in

Deep Six 09-01-2015 07:50 AM

My 09 C63 is the only car I have ever owned that I absolutely regret selling. No issues in 4 years of ownership other than an 02 sensor. I had long tube headers and a tune which yielded nearly 500 whp on 100 octane. Of course the powertrain warranty went out the window with the modifications.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1t50kj.jpg

evomike 09-01-2015 12:21 PM

I think as long as you avoid early E55's youre good

jdmblood 09-01-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomike (Post 2376526)
I think as long as you avoid early E55's youre good



issues with the supercharger unit right?

evomike 09-01-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmblood (Post 2376580)
issues with the supercharger unit right?

issues with all kinds of things as far as I know

Noble713 09-01-2015 03:34 PM

I've never owned a Merc but always respected AMG. I like to call them "American Muscle, by Germany", since their approach to performance largely seems to be "max horsepower, traction and comfort be damned!" Just look at the SL65 AMG Black Series.

Be nice to get my hands on a W204 C63AMG sedan like Deep Six's one day. They seem to be decently popular in Japan: a luxurious yet compact sleeper.

jdmblood 09-01-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Six (Post 2376293)
My 09 C63 is the only car I have ever owned that I absolutely regret selling. No issues in 4 years of ownership other than an 02 sensor. I had long tube headers and a tune which yielded nearly 500 whp on 100 octane. Of course the powertrain warranty went out the window with the modifications.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1t50kj.jpg


very clean sir :wub:

MarkR171 09-02-2015 03:16 PM

Mine. '07 SLK55 AMG w/ AMG Performance Package.
BC Coilovers
Custom X-Pipe
Secondary cat delete
Eurocharged Tune
Enkei PF01 Wheels & Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (used to run soft/very soft compound Hankook Z214 slicks for autos)

No issues in over 4 years with the car autocrossing and track days. It actually surprises a lot of people out there.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...68566241_o.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2c&oe=5677EB7E

Video from two Saturdays ago at Summit Point Main Circuit...
https://www.facebook.com/mark.shriva...97940833267165
(public fb video)

Cons? Regular Expenses.
Performance package front rotors alone are $1000 per side from the dealer, $670 per side online for OEM. I am installing Racingbrake rotors front and rear next so I will only have to change the friction rings (and reuse rotor hats) in the future. Cost? $2100 for just the 4 rotors. Add another $400+ for pads. Also, the car has two spark plugs per cylinder, so 16 plugs need to be changed. Also takes 9 quarts of oil.

Obligatory FRS content
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...98046336_o.jpg

MokSpeed 09-02-2015 04:31 PM

Stories about any European car in general are completely opposite. I treat European cars like strippers.
Nice to look at and be around, but I'd never commit to one.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.