Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Back to a FRS from M3 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85549)

shu5892001 03-27-2015 02:18 AM

Back to a FRS from M3
 
Hi guys,

This is Shu, I am not sure if anyone remembers me, I got a Ultramarine FRS in Oct 2012, and I had the plate FT86. I had TE37 18x9.5 all around with nameless OP/DP combo as well as perrin unresonated exhaust. But me being young and immature, I got a 2010 BMW E90 M3 in Aug of 2013 and left the FRS

Needless to say, I miss the FRS a lot, the handling, the gear box and the overall feel. Fast forward almost 2 years and my E90 is now close to 100k and maintenance is starting to stack up in the thousands if not tens of thousand.

Today I went to test drive the FRS again, and I felt instantly at home, clutch felt like it was made for my muscle memory and heel toes are buttery smooth, so I traded in for a brand new 2015 Ultramarine FRS, exactly like the previous one. Don't get me wrong the E90 is an amazing car, it's a wolf in sheep's clothing with that 4 door "328" look, and the ITB V8 that rev to 8400 rpm is insane, but you gotta pay to play, and life priority has changed, I can not justify having a money pit in my garage!

Btw, I plan to do nameless header + op/dp + exhaust, tune and bushing here and there as a first step. If anyone else has suggestion please shout it out as I have not been checking the form frequently for the past 2 year, from my understanding nameless had one of the best headers?

It feels good to be back, this was my 2013 FRS

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8444/0HN5q8.jpg

Burrcold 03-27-2015 06:55 AM

Welcome back!

ft86series1 03-27-2015 08:56 AM

Congrats! Welcome back!

DarkSunrise 03-27-2015 09:00 AM

Welcome back man. Any thoughts on the differences in handling between 2013 and 2015 FR-S?

Mr.Impreza 03-27-2015 09:06 AM

Welcome back...once you feel the rawness of JDM cars it's hard to move on...i also tried with owning a 335i and i got rid of it within 1 year

HunterGreene 03-27-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shu5892001 (Post 2187164)
Needless to say, I miss the FRS a lot, the handling, the gear box and the overall feel. Fast forward almost 2 years and my E90 is now close to 100k and maintenance is starting to stack up in the thousands if not tens of thousand.

Welcome back! And expensive maintenance on a BMW? Shocker.

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 03-27-2015 10:14 AM

Welcome back! I sold my 135i to get a BRZ because they cost of doing the mods I wanted on the 135i was almost 2/3 the cost of buying a brand new BRZ and starting over.

7thgear 03-27-2015 10:15 AM

I say you ditch the mods and come out to autocross

shu5892001 03-27-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 2187314)
Welcome back man. Any thoughts on the differences in handling between 2013 and 2015 FR-S?

I actually didn't realize too much of a handling difference, the ride did feel smoother to me, maybe because I use to have 245 35 18 all around.

shu5892001 03-27-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterGreene (Post 2187326)
Welcome back! And expensive maintenance on a BMW? Shocker.

Thanks. You can look up rod bearing issues on m3post and you would know why i ditched it so quick lol

shu5892001 03-27-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ (Post 2187384)
Welcome back! I sold my 135i to get a BRZ because they cost of doing the mods I wanted on the 135i was almost 2/3 the cost of buying a brand new BRZ and starting over.

Yep, Since my car is stacking up the miles pretty quick, I priced out the maintenance that I plan to do to keep the car in good condition: rod bearing replacement: >3k, clutch + spark plugs = 2K.

I thought there is no way I am going to put another 5k in the car, lol

shu5892001 03-27-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thgear (Post 2187385)
I say you ditch the mods and come out to autocross

We will see, I did take my M to cayuga 8 or 10 times last summer and toasted a brand new set of PSS in a few month. Not sure if I want to do the same with the FR-S lol

HunterGreene 03-27-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shu5892001 (Post 2187409)
Thanks. You can look up rod bearing issues on m3post and you would know why i ditched it so quick lol

Short, fun story. A friend of mine owns a smilar M3 to you, and let me drive it for a half hour a few years ago. I won't lie, the thing pulls like a mofo and I was smiling the entire time. But I knew getting out of the car that I wouldn't be buying one like it, namely because the car otherwise felt kind of numb in the steering feel.

7thgear 03-27-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shu5892001 (Post 2187413)
We will see, I did take my M to cayuga 8 or 10 times last summer and toasted a brand new set of PSS in a few month. Not sure if I want to do the same with the FR-S lol



10 track days on a street tire is pretty normal, esp if you did just lapping days at Cayuga (lots of track time)


There are a few tricks to extend your tire life but really you got your money's worth.


Autocross is different though, the classing helps to really define a solid competition environment. Our Stock (aka Street) and ST classes are well populated.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.