Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   4th Brake Light/Rear Fog Wiring issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84253)

NickDC88 03-10-2015 09:22 PM

4th Brake Light/Rear Fog Wiring issues
 
I bought the ijdmtoy rear fog led that is supposed to be on when the parking lights are on and flash when brakes are applied. The wiring only consists of 3 wires so I figured it would be a no brainer. I tested the wires on the battery before install to deritmine how the wiring would be ran. Hooked everything up as the instructions show and tested with the car OFF and it worked great.

Problem is, when the car is running, the led will strobe without the brakes applied and the ABS/Traction light will turn on.

I just disconnected the 12v constant power going to the led and it no longer lights up with the lights on, but will strobe when I hit the brakes. I also do not get any warning lights on the dash.

Tl;dr
LED works like it should with car OFF
ABS and Traction lights pop up with car ON
Cut "Parking light" wire, works only when brakes applied with no warning lights.

Faulty harness from ijdmtoy or did I wire it wrong?

AzureShadow 03-11-2015 11:06 AM

I can't say for sure because I don't have experience, but one of the reviews says you can only have one or the other modes not both.

Review from product page: "Reviewer: Julian Garcia from L5n2r4, ON Canada
It was pretty a straight forward installation.
It would probably take you around 30-45 mins. depending on how well you are comprehending with the steps and with the electrical connections.

If you don't know what you're doing always try to partner up with someone! Don't be a hero and screw up your electrical connections in the car.

PS: you can only choose whether you want it to work as an extra Brake Light or an extra Park light at night. If you want both of them then you might need to buy an extra LED and put it in the small slot beside it. (Only in TC) not sure about the other cars."

aryamak 03-21-2015 05:20 AM

Mine worked for months, then when I switch from my stock tails to TOMS; I got the same issue. I disconnected everything altogether. I do want to give it another shot. I got new t-taps instead of the shitty ones they provided. Do you mind telling me what color wires should tap to one another from the kit?

Tye300 03-21-2015 04:07 PM

Some of our club members experienced this. One member had to replace a module for the brake pedal if I remember correctly. The lights come on because the extra current overloads the brake light switch circuit, that's why it goes away when you take the extra wire out that powers the constant light.

boredom.is.me 03-21-2015 06:17 PM

LOL, I did five of my own kit installs today. You have to ground the 4th rake light directly to the car. Simple, Done.

boredom.is.me 03-21-2015 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just for credibility of my previous statement... We had 11 cars. (total of 7 cars including my own with the kit) (also not my pictures)

ck-GT86 03-21-2015 09:15 PM

Return it and get the Nsidius Industries harness, stupid simple install - 100% plug and play. I made a thread on it here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81016

Reverse Bar Brake/Light Mod - Nsidius Industries Harness

. ck

boredom.is.me 03-21-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 2179340)
Return it and get the Nsidius Industries harness, stupid simple install - 100% plug and play. I made a thread on it here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81016

Reverse Bar Brake/Light Mod - Nsidius Industries Harness

. ck

I think that's a very fair price, but it only includes a regular filament bulb.

ck-GT86 03-21-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredom.is.me (Post 2179341)
I think that's a very fair price, but it only includes a regular filament bulb.

What kind of bulb are you looking for?

. ck

boredom.is.me 03-21-2015 09:38 PM

LED for the reason that it provides a crisp on and off. It would look weird if the 4th didn't operate at the same time as the tail lights. This is exactly what I use. It is probably the biggest thing that fit. :D You just have to find out what socket you have, then just find an applicable bulb.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ower/635/1912/

ck-GT86 03-21-2015 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredom.is.me (Post 2179359)
LED for the reason that it provides a crisp on and off. It would look weird if the 4th didn't operate at the same time as the tail lights. This is exactly what I use. It is probably the biggest thing that fit. :D You just have to find out what socket you have, then just find an applicable bulb.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ower/635/1912/

That should fit? The bulb type is listed in the thread, maybe get a flashing type for your application?

.ck

boredom.is.me 03-21-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 2179365)
That should fit? The bulb type is listed in the thread, maybe get a flashing type for your application?

.ck

3157 socket? This would be the equivalent to what I linked to earlier.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-tower/802/

Then there is this. It's supposed to be much brighter, but I have no experience with it. I also think that the previous option matches the overall intensity of the tail lights.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

jshadeck 07-24-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredom.is.me (Post 2179193)
LOL, I did five of my own kit installs today. You have to ground the 4th rake light directly to the car. Simple, Done.


sorry my brains not working well this AM, can you elaborate on the 4th brake light ground?

boredom.is.me 07-31-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshadeck (Post 2333325)
sorry my brains not working well this AM, can you elaborate on the 4th brake light ground?

There is a grounding bolt below the plastic trim in your trunk. It's the only trim piece in the trunk. Ground the 4th to that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.