Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   OFT warranty (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78218)

Plxdjake89 11-25-2014 07:35 PM

OFT warranty

Quick question, has anybody cracked their open flash tablet screen?
I did and was just wondering if anyone else has.

Mine still works and I'm able to click on the neccesary options to flash between tunes, and clear codes but that's about it.

I have received a quote a while back but was turned off by the amount asked for to replace it, was hoping anyone can chime in.

Boofneenee 11-25-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plxdjake89 (Post 2035066)
Quick question, has anybody cracked their open flash tablet screen?
I did and was just wondering if anyone else has.

Mine still works and I'm able to click on the neccesary options to flash between tunes, and clear codes but that's about it.

I have received a quote a while back but was turned off by the amount asked for to replace it, was hoping anyone can chime in.

I think its 1 yr but why don't you just ask them?

raven1231 11-25-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boofneenee (Post 2035105)

This. and not sure if it covers physical damage :iono:

Wayno 11-25-2014 08:23 PM

Cracked screen is user error, not hardware malfunction.

Plxdjake89 11-25-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayno (Post 2035113)
Cracked screen is user error, not hardware malfunction.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but it's a little hard to control my 3 year old nephews actions when he's in my car and I'm paying attention to the road :(

Boofneenee 11-25-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plxdjake89 (Post 2035174)
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but it's a little hard to control my 3 year old nephews actions when he's in my car and I'm paying attention to the road :(

where did you get the quote to fix your tablet from?

Plxdjake89 11-25-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boofneenee (Post 2035105)

I did ask them back in June I believe. They said they wanted $200 to send out a new one.

Vmax911 11-25-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plxdjake89 (Post 2035174)

You're right, 3 year old nephews should totally be covered by the manufacturer warranty, make them take the financial hit! If not, contact the Obama administration. I'm pretty sure that kind of loss is required to be covered somewhere in the federal subsidized child care act.

Plxdjake89 11-25-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax911 (Post 2035193)
You're right, 3 year old nephews should totally be covered by the manufacturer warranty, make them take the financial hit! If not, contact the Obama administration. I'm pretty sure that kind of loss is required to be covered somewhere in the federal subsidized child care act.

Lol

Boofneenee 11-25-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax911 (Post 2035193)

that all depends.. are you nephews illegal immigrants?

Thorpedo 11-26-2014 08:03 AM

200 for a new one is a pretty decent deal if you ask me.

tdotBRZ 11-26-2014 09:26 AM

is it just me or OP is trolling hard?
what does manufacturer's warranty and physical damage have to do with each other?
And they offered you a replacement new tablet for 1/3 of its price and you denied it? lol.. no comments.

Foobar 11-26-2014 09:37 AM

I'd just pony up the $200 for the replacement. Alternatively, see if you can source the same sized LCD touch sensor display that they use and do some self-repair on it. Unless you don't want to void your warranty for actual warranty eligible service later, that is.

1Cor10:23 11-26-2014 10:06 AM

Op, keep in mind that replacing the screen = permanently breaking the plastic connectors at the four corners of the OFT. This thing was made never to be opened/repaired as it has those one-way plastic connectors that just can't be opened and resealed (AFAIK) and you'll have to glue it back together (which can still a good seal since it has a lot of good contact + it's plastic).

My take is that you'll get a new tablet for $200 and they'll just discard your current one. I personally think it's overpriced - as my take on the business model is that the $500 for the OFT itself is like a user license for the device. Them replacing the tablet for you still keeps the number of users, net-net, the same so long as they take your broken one from you. Since the business is portrayed as, you're paying $500 for the device, I can see why they would want to charge a higher price. Ideally, they would charge you the actual replacement cost for the device but hey, it's still a business I guess. I can't imagine that it actually takes $200 to produce one of these but I could easily be wrong...