Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   had a small argument about the BRZ with my gf yesterday. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76411)

spicyricecake 10-22-2014 11:34 AM

had a small argument about the BRZ with my gf yesterday.

All other points that were settled aside (backseat space, interior design, BRZ's superior MPG rating against genesis coupe 2.0t, etc),

she pointed out that the car sits low and it was cumbersome to get into the car.

I've never noticed, but how true is this? I had a bad experience with the toyota dealership in town so I don't feel like going over there again to confirm...

Also, I've read just about every review out there pinning the genesis coupe 2.0t and the FR-S against each other, but all I read are race/track relevant information. I've also searched the forums for this, but not much results... maybe I suck at researching?

Anyways, I'm mostly concerned about practicality and driving feel.

Can I get some pros, cons about those two cars and your objective opinion about the two?

I know I've been asking this question a lot, but I'm in a serious dilemma over which vehicle to get when the time comes to buy next month.

ZionsWrath 10-22-2014 11:39 AM

OK, first of all let us settle the most important bits.

What is your future with your GF? Possible wife?

How is she involved with the financials of the purchase? Shared bank account?

Children?

Next up. What is the purpose of the car?

DD? See track time? etc.

IMO it seems you are being weak and letting a woman that won't even drive your car impact your decision. If you have a passion for cars and she hates it well you are going to have some problems in your choice of vehicle and your relationship.

Maybe I'm going too far but your post is kind of vague and sounds like you are being kind of ***gy

also

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBbFxK5qQ"]This Is How Your Wife Reacts When You Buy a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS - YouTube[/ame]

ovm_catalyst 10-22-2014 11:42 AM

If you have enough space to open up the doors, its not that big of a deal. If you're in a parking spot close to another car, you're going to expend some kind of energy getting out of the car. I've got a little bit of shoe marks on the door panel/door jam panel, im 5'8 185-190lbs and sit with the seat pumped up maybe 2 pumps. My seat back is maybe 100 degrees for a mostly upright driving position.

jeffchap 10-22-2014 11:45 AM

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain getting in and out, but it's worth it to me. My wife has some trouble, depending upon what she's wearing and/or carrying at the time, but I usually walk around and open the door for her and help her out anyway. You get bonus points for this. She's never alone with the car, so she doesn't have to worry about getting in and out by herself.

spicyricecake 10-22-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 1993793)
OK, first of all let us settle the most important bits.

What is your future with your GF? Possible wife?

How is she involved with the financials of the purchase? Shared bank account?

Children?

Next up. What is the purpose of the car?

DD? See track time? etc.

IMO it seems you are being weak and letting a woman that won't even drive your car impact your decision. If you have a passion for cars and she hates it well you are going to have some problems in your choice of vehicle and your relationship.

Maybe I'm going too far but your post is kind of vague and sounds like you are being kind of ***gy

also

This Is How Your Wife Reacts When You Buy a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS - YouTube

Saw that video a few days ago, still hilarious no matter how sexist it is...

ok, here goes:

Possible wife (highly possible), no shared bank accounts till marriage, no kids.

car will be a DD, no track days (not anytime soon anyway).

Note also that I am not being weak, but taking into consideration of my potential life partner for a big purchase that will be around for the next 5-6 years... who knows if we'll have a kid in between and having a small backseat is a big deal for men with children..

Not sure if you were trying to be rude, but it kind of came across offensive man.

And what the hell is ***GY?

spicyricecake 10-22-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchap (Post 1993805)
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain getting in and out, but it's worth it to me. My wife has some trouble, depending upon what she's wearing and/or carrying at the time, but I usually walk around and open the door for her and help her out anyway. You get bonus points for this. She's never alone with the car, so she doesn't have to worry about getting in and out by herself.

That's exactly what she was referring to.

Wearing a dress and getting out of a low car is not ideal for women according to her and many other females.

ZionsWrath 10-22-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicyricecake (Post 1993817)
Saw that video a few days ago, still hilarious no matter how sexist it is...

ok, here goes:

Possible wife (highly possible), no shared bank accounts till marriage, no kids.

car will be a DD, no track days (not anytime soon anyway).

Note also that I am not being weak, but taking into consideration of my potential life partner for a big purchase that will be around for the next 5-6 years... who knows if we'll have a kid in between and having a small backseat is a big deal for men with children..

Not sure if you were trying to be rude, but it kind of came across offensive man.

And what the hell is ***GY?

It will sound offensive when a guy is trying to give you candid advice regarding a woman you are letting make decisions for you. ***gy is censored. You can figure it out.

What do you want out of your DD? Sounds like this car is not for you if pleasing your significant other is part of the equation and she already doesn't like it. I think a sport sedan would suit your situation better. Has room to grow and since not tracking it no worries about the issues that come with that. Plus you girl will like it 10x better. You won't be as happy as you can be but at least your girl is, right?

extrashaky 10-22-2014 12:10 PM

Tell her we said as long as she isn't overweight, she won't have a problem. Tell her that.

DarkSunrise 10-22-2014 12:20 PM

My wife commented on it once, but once she got used to it, said it's not really an issue.

Take your GF for a test-drive in the Lotus Elise. She'll never complain about how low the BRZ is after that.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTLDP28XTlg"]Lotus Challenge: Old man gets stuck in an Exige S - YouTube[/ame]

ray7792 10-22-2014 12:22 PM

Yes, the car sits low and is a pain to get in and out of. My girlfriend hasn't complained but I do see her struggle sometimes when we are on a steep hill and she is carrying a bunch of stuff. My grandpa...it is very hard for him to get in and out.
The doors also open wide and if you park in tight parking lots, be careful not to swing it too wide, but then it becomes a pain to get in and out with minimal clearance. You kind of just have to fall into the seat sometimes haha.

I have driven my friend's 3.8 genny a number of times and rode in it plenty, so thats the closest comparison I can give you.

Cons of the BRZ compared to the Genny.
Speakers are worse, less room in the back, less trunk space, annoying to get out of the car sometimes, interior is worse quality, minimal eletronics(could be a pro~) (e.g no buttons on the wheel, simple infotainment system), less sound deadening (lots of wind noise, sound generator on the passenger side (could delete this), Both cars rattle in time, but in my experience it was easier to get rid of any rattles in the BRZ (look around the forum to see), little torque! compared to the 2.0T - much cheaper to make the 2.0T faster HP/$ wise. Smaller wheels/brakes (depending on what trim of the 2.0T you get)

That is a lot of cons haha

Now, Pros of the BRZ compared to Genny.
Steering feel/feedback is a million times better - the genny feels like I'm driving my Mom's lexus. BRZ is much little lighter, nimbler and smaller - the genny is a boat but the 3.8 is damn quick haha, BRZ revs like 1k higher (I think?), I have limited experience driving manual in both cars but I prefer the BRZ's shifter, I have driven both cars in automatic and the BRZ's slushbox is better IMO, cheaper Mods (Genny mods cost A LOT, but you'd get much more HP/$ with the 2.0T probably), BRZ gets better MPG, BRZ is more fun to throw around (subjective opinion xD). And to add one more, I think the BRZ will be cheaper to maintain so in the long run with gas/mods/services/repairs/etc you'll save more getting the BRZ.

If you'll be in traffic a lot and/or not really getting out and driving it for fun, have to seat ppl in the back, long drives, etc...get the Genny is my objective opinion.
I Love my BRZ but 5/7 days of the week I can't enjoy it fully.

TL:DR: The genny is a lot more practical (more torque for daily driving, more room everywhere, and less noisy, less MPG but I THINK you could fill with 87 OCT)

P.S. Sorry for the long and messy composition! Best of luck to you tteokbokki! Ah since you're in Florida...the AC in the BRZ sucks but the Genny's isn't much better either lol

Chazbo 10-22-2014 12:24 PM

The car does sit low and it can be challenging to sit in and get out of. There are a few methods of getting in and out relatively easy.

Getting in: You can open the door and place your butt in the seat and then swing your legs in.

Getting out: There is a little rubber pad thing on the door jamb which you can use to place your palm and use that as a pivot to get out.

Lazy and overweight people will gripe about it because it's tough for them. Just don't be either of those things and you'll be fine.

The Scion minivan thing, I forget the model, but its the one with only one reverse light, although marketed for the younger generation has actually been bought up by older people who have problems getting in and out of a vehicle because the seats are high. You could get one of those.

Getting out in a small place is a real pain in the ass, but I try to never park near anyone anyways. I save people from themselves wanting to ding my door.

kdmxdgt 10-22-2014 12:26 PM

does she have a bigger car? if so there is the practicality. if you want driving feel go with an 86. the 86 isnt so impractical. the rear seats fold down and you can fit quite a bit in the back. there are threads on the forum dedicated to others that have driven both the genesis and 86. most go with the 86.

spicyricecake 10-22-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 1993826)
It will sound offensive when a guy is trying to give you candid advice regarding a woman you are letting make decisions for you. ***gy is censored. You can figure it out.

What do you want out of your DD? Sounds like this car is not for you if pleasing your significant other is part of the equation and she already doesn't like it. I think a sport sedan would suit your situation better. Has room to grow and since not tracking it no worries about the issues that come with that. Plus you girl will like it 10x better. You won't be as happy as you can be but at least your girl is, right?

Like i said, not sure if you were, and if you weren't no worries!

Her happiness is with the car is obviously not the main priority here, and my decision ultimately comes down to genesis coupe 2.0t vs brz.

No sedan, no sports sedan, nothing. Sports Coupe!

ichitaka05 10-22-2014 12:48 PM

Zion's a bit harsh, but he have a point. It's your car, not gf/future wife's car.

Why worry bout back seat? Future kid? Just say... you knock her up and had a baby in give or take in an yr. You still got near 10yrs til you need to worry bout that kid have backseat leg space issue. Gonna have problem putting a kid in the back seat? Very true that having actual back seat or not, it's a bitch if you own a COUPE. That include GC. I've seen several pics of twin owners putting baby/kid seats.

Now, back to the low ride. Yes, twins are very low to the ground... but is it lower than other sports/sporty cars? No, actually not really. Corvette, Elise, few Ferrari, Lambo, & few other cars. I've seen over 60yo couple driving this car, getting in & out without complaining. Not sure how old you guys are, but I think it's too early to complain bout how low the car is.

If you're worrying bout back seat and low ride, I wouldn't recommend buying twins or GC. I would recommend WRX, STI, Focus ST, ISF, IS350 F Sports, GS 350, Q50, TL, RL, M3, M6 & some of those sporty sedans.

Again, don't take this as offensive. All I'm saying is it's your choice, no one else's decision, so take my feedback is grain of salt too.

As for twin vs GC goes, I'll do simple pros & cons for ya

Twins
Pros
*Lightweight
*Decent MPG
*Looks good
*Low CoG

Cons
*Few bugs (crickets)
*Gutless
*Sucky paint
*Thin chassis steel = easily damaged