Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   NY / NJ / CT / PA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   So I may be going to visit NY this weekend (parking/storing question) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68826)

crizkay 06-25-2014 07:47 PM

So I may be going to visit NY this weekend (parking/storing question)
 
Hey all, I'm from Virginia but a few friends are going up to NY this weekend and I was thinking of meeting them up...I was wondering if you guys knew of any places I could keep my car in a relatively safe place for a couple of days (planning on going up Friday afternoon/staying until Sunday afternoon)?

Kind of a weird question perhaps...but I've never driven my car(s) up to NY by myself (always rode in a group with friends' cars that had just a bit more space than my BRZ). Thanks for any help!

Edit: We plan on staying mostly in the city, so I don't see me having to use my car until I leave

DarkCard 06-25-2014 08:06 PM

Keep it off the streets. Negligent drivers + confusing street signs + street cleaning rules will equal out to scuffed bumpers and parking tickets.

My suggestion is park in staten island by the ferry in one of the car parks (Because itll be cheaper than parking in the city) and than ride the ferry in. The ferry is free fyi

ZionsWrath 06-26-2014 07:42 PM

You can park in my neighborhood and take the metro north to NYC.

Vampyre 06-26-2014 08:01 PM

I would leave the car and take the train to NYC.

nick_318is 06-26-2014 08:48 PM

NYC Impound lot. Safer and cheaper parking after the getting towed part.

Heard about some people who went to NYC, parked the car someplace they were not supposed to, the car got towed and it was cheaper to pay the ticket and impound costs than the cost of parking in the city for a few days.

Pokeguyjai 06-26-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_318is (Post 1818268)
NYC Impound lot. Safer and cheaper parking after the getting towed part.

Heard about some people who went to NYC, parked the car someplace they were not supposed to, the car got towed and it was cheaper to pay the ticket and impound costs than the cost of parking in the city for a few days.

You're forgetting the part where they tow your car through the Bronx and hit every pothole on the road as fast as they can.

raptor87 06-26-2014 10:06 PM

maybe you can park in front of the gate to the impound lot then they wont tow it far

Pokeguyjai 06-26-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor87 (Post 1818358)
maybe you can park in front of the gate to the impound lot then they wont tow it far

trololololol

The kind residents of the Bronx will surely help the OP find an alternative parking spot.

x1UP 06-26-2014 11:07 PM

There are various parking garages in the city itself, but that is such a pain. There are also the reckless driving of taxi drivers, so if I were you, and since i'm from NYC myself, I would park it outside of Manhattan, where it's relatively safe and then take the train into the city.

ZionsWrath 06-27-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x1UP (Post 1818443)
There are various parking garages in the city itself, but that is such a pain. There are also the reckless driving of taxi drivers, so if I were you, and since i'm from NYC myself, I would park it outside of Manhattan, where it's relatively safe and then take the train into the city.

Yea, from my neighborhood I think the metro north 1 way ticket is like $13 peak. So "safe" (you never know what can happen lol) parking for unlimited time for less than $30 only downside is the 30 min train ride to grand central. But hey, you are allowed to drink on the train so :cheers:

crizkay 06-27-2014 09:54 AM

Yeah if I didn't hate towing companies and the fact that they would tow your car all over NY I would think about getting my car purposely impounded...

Thanks @ZionsWrath, I may just do that...where's your neighborhood?

dnieves 07-05-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_318is (Post 1818268)
NYC Impound lot. Safer and cheaper parking after the getting towed part.

Heard about some people who went to NYC, parked the car someplace they were not supposed to, the car got towed and it was cheaper to pay the ticket and impound costs than the cost of parking in the city for a few days.

Not worth It being that they'll steal whatever isn't nailed down then tell you you're lying and it's not their responsibility anyway.


PS- same thing applies to scratches and dents and the damage they'll cause to the car when they tow it by the front instead of the rear.

1stGenBRZ86 07-09-2014 11:41 AM

I live in Queens, and I wholeheartedly agree with the person that said leave your car at home and take a bus/train to nyc. A nice car like that with out of state plates for sure will leave with souvenirs (scratches and dents) if you're lucky. If its towed, the morons will probably tow it by the front and fuck up your drivetrain...

dori. 07-20-2014 05:34 PM

The good thing about going on a weekend is that many of the parking rules are not in effect. Should be easy to find street parking as long as you stay away from main areas like Times Square.

Do you have any friends/relatives in the area that would let you park at their house? That would be an easy option too if you're afraid of leaving your car on the street.

Me personally, after I saw an R34 GT-R and a Lambo Murcielago parked on the street in midtown Manhattan, I really stopped giving a shit.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.