Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   45,000 miles and going strong (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66940)

Hawaiian 05-30-2014 02:12 AM

45,000 miles and going strong
 
So, This happened a little over a week ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pslvyv5pke.jpg

I know that some people have been concerned over the myriad of problems that our cars have had, especially with some of the earlier production cars, and I would like to do what I can to alleviate that a little bit.

In the 2 years since I have taken ownership of one of the best cars I have ever driven (it still puts a smile on my face every time i turn the key,) I have poked it, prodded it, modded it, and tuned it. It has survived 2 bricked computers (one from the dealership flashing it incorrectly, and one from ecutek/Visconti both fixed). It was tuned by Visconti, Toni, and finally Junior without getting a catastrophic failure or car-b-que.

It has seen pump gas, and tons of E-85 and my fuel system hasn't disintegrated (more than half of my miles are on the corn.) Header and Intake development, Hundreds of Dyno pulls, Spirited highway driving, backroad driving, extended highway trips, 1/4 runs and Autox.

It's had crickets with a replaced pump (they came back), a Check engine light (it didn't.) The Idle dip, condensed tail lights, and approaching 7000 Boosted miles (pushing more power than most.)

The cars are fairly resilient and can handle quite a bit. Yes, My trans is about to poop it's self, and I had problems with it pre-FI that the dealers didn't want to touch that the power has made worse, but that's what happens when you push almost 2x the rated TQ through it.

In reflection, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Enjoy your car, it's tougher than you may think after reading through the Issues section.

jflogerzi 05-30-2014 10:47 AM

Got pay to play

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Roxy86 05-30-2014 12:25 PM

How much power and still stock block?

I've had my cam plate leak at about 7k, that's about it... knock on wood
Just cleaned it up and put threebond on it. so far so good

Superhatch 05-30-2014 12:32 PM

:cheers:

I think I'm at 60k-ish. I stopped paying attention a while ago. :P

I too still love every moment of getting into the car and after 2 years am amazed at how happy it still makes me and how many heads it still turns.

Here's to 45K more!

Hawaiian 05-30-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxy86 (Post 1768393)
How much power and still stock block?

I've had my cam plate leak at about 7k, that's about it... knock on wood
Just cleaned it up and put threebond on it. so far so good

I forgot about the camplate. That's leaked twice.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=2

My dyno is there. If I could find actual 85% E85 I would be closer to 520 @20 psi. I run wastegate a lot though.

Lonewolf 05-30-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhatch (Post 1768422)
:cheers:

I think I'm at 60k-ish. I stopped paying attention a while ago. :P

I too still love every moment of getting into the car and after 2 years am amazed at how happy it still makes me and how many heads it still turns.

Here's to 45K more!

Wow, 60K! You drive an ass-ton!

Darryljr11 05-30-2014 01:31 PM

This makes me feel better. Ive been vortech supercharged with a visconti tune and am currently running PTuning turbo kit and approaching 27000 miles.

illmatic 05-30-2014 01:53 PM

31K purchased 5/2012 and no problems.

Rocket.BRZ 05-30-2014 02:00 PM

Awesome another one for the horrible transmission. How much torque are you putting out?

Reaper 05-30-2014 02:31 PM

should we start a thread for those of us that have over 400whp on a stock motor and regularly update the threads mileage?

Hawaiian 05-30-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ (Post 1768623)
Awesome another one for the horrible transmission. How much torque are you putting out?

400ft lbs. I hope to have a solution soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper (Post 1768720)
should we start a thread for those of us that have over 400whp on a stock motor and regularly update the threads mileage?

Not a bad idea.

wparsons 05-30-2014 04:25 PM

I'm at ~66k km's (~42k miles), and the only issue I've had was moisture in my tail lights.

skyloran 05-30-2014 04:26 PM

i am hitting my 30K soon..love the car so much..great ride


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.