Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Vendors who speak to makers of (TOMS) tail lights please read (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61253)

OICU812 03-20-2014 10:57 PM

Vendors who speak to makers of (TOMS) tail lights please read
 
Maybe I'm alone, maybe not in this situation?

If any vendor here has a direct contact with Toms could you please ask if they're considering a "smoked" version? The clear Toms with blacked housing look great but...if you added a lightly to mid (safe amount) smoked lens it would be the tits!!


I like my Valentis but if a blacked housing with smoked lens Toms came?....well I'd have to go that route..

Anyone else like to see this?? :iono: :D

BRZPDX 03-20-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OICU812 (Post 1614929)
Maybe I'm alone, maybe not in this situation?

If any vendor here has a direct contact with Toms could you please ask if they're considering a "smoked" version? The clear Toms with blacked housing look great but...if you added a lightly to mid (safe amount) smoked lens it would be the tits!!


I like my Valentis but if a blacked housing with smoked lens Toms came?....well I'd have to go that route..

Anyone else like to see this?? :iono: :D

I'm trying to do this soon. debating paint or vinyl, since vinyl gets that hazy light look that I dont like

ucsmfu 03-21-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OICU812 (Post 1614929)
Maybe I'm alone, maybe not in this situation?

If any vendor here has a direct contact with Toms could you please ask if they're considering a "smoked" version? The clear Toms with blacked housing look great but...if you added a lightly to mid (safe amount) smoked lens it would be the tits!!


I like my Valentis but if a blacked housing with smoked lens Toms came?....well I'd have to go that route..

Anyone else like to see this?? :iono: :D

there is a smoked version

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net...86tl-tb(1).jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SUBARU-...vip=true&rt=nc

Vicious LED 03-21-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsmfu (Post 1615110)

From what we've been told those are NOT legitimate TOM's tail lights. TOM's doesn't make a smoked tail light yet, I've confirmed this with my supplier who has direct contact with TOM's.

SkAsphalt 03-21-2014 01:02 AM

I guess just get some tint vinyl from bluebatmobile?

OICU812 03-21-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkAsphalt (Post 1615166)
I guess just get some tint vinyl from bluebatmobile?

Thought of this but really rather a lens vs an overlay. With red and clear, smoked would complete the offering? :D

OICU812 03-21-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious LED (Post 1615119)
From what we've been told those are NOT legitimate TOM's tail lights. TOM's doesn't make a smoked tail light yet, I've confirmed this with my supplier who has direct contact with TOM's.

Any idea if there will be official Toms in smoked lens with blacked housings?

soundman98 03-21-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious LED (Post 1615119)
From what we've been told those are NOT legitimate TOM's tail lights. TOM's doesn't make a smoked tail light yet, I've confirmed this with my supplier who has direct contact with TOM's.

are you sure those are knock-off's? because it kind of looks like they are just the clear toms photographed in a low light situation...

because if those are knock-off's, i can clearly see the 'toms' logo on them, which makes me wonder what the discernible difference is between the real toms and knock-off toms would be...

Vicious LED 03-21-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 1617263)
are you sure those are knock-off's? because it kind of looks like they are just the clear toms photographed in a low light situation...

because if those are knock-off's, i can clearly see the 'toms' logo on them, which makes me wonder what the discernible difference is between the real toms and knock-off toms would be...

As mentioned in my previous comment my supplier has contacted TOM's directly and they've confirmed they've never made a smoked version available. I can also see the TOM's logo on the smoked lights in question, however you have to remember that it isn't that hard to replicate another company's logo and brand image when making fakes. Now I'm not 100% guaranteeing these are fakes but from the research we've done (I'm an authorized retailer of TOM's/Buddy Club's) and talking with my suppliers they have never even heard of smoked TOM's tails for the FT86, so that would lead me to the conclusion that one of two things are happening here:

A) Said company is smoking out these tails themselves, which requires lots of work and would be noticeable since no human done job is perfect; you'd find small areas where the smoke wouldn't look right or small imperfections where a machine done job would be perfect.

B) The company is in fact selling knock off TOM's as "Real" Tom's that are branded and stamped, but are in fact just a cheap knockoff trying to fetch a price similar to TOM's.

Here's another thing to consider. That seller is selling them for what, $429 or $439 shipped?

Shipping is about $15-$20 in the US, and ebay fees alone are 10% of the final selling cost. That would be $43 in final value fees, plus the shipping cost he is paying, which would be about $63 on the top end. Then you also have to factor in Paypal costs, which would be 2.9% + 30 cents. (so you're looking at about another $10-$12 there) Leaving his total expenses on those at around $75. $429 - $75 = $356, which is literally near/below cost on normal, authentic TOM's tail lights. So this seller would be losing money if they are in fact legitimate TOM's tails. Doesn't add up to me at ALL.

I may be completely wrong here, but being a vendor for around 16 months on this forum and being a legal business for over a year, I've dealt with lots of companies in the LED and lighting sector, and I know what certain things cost. This guy's pricing and what he's selling just do not add up at all. :bonk:

soundman98 03-22-2014 12:35 AM

i read through the listing, and all it says is that they are "black". it doesn't say anything about them being smoked at all.. it looks like it is just the standard clear lens version to me..

i agree it doesn't completely add up, but if this is a copy, it looks like a really good copy..

on second thought-- if there were copies of toms tails floating around, we should have seen some threads on burned out led's with those units, as the cost of quality led's is usually the easiest spot to cut corners with..

who knows.. maybe these "fell off a truck", so he's got 100% profit out of them, or he's selling them and only making $5 for every pair..

OICU812 03-22-2014 01:18 AM

@Vicious LED could you ask your contact if there are plans to make a smoked lens Toms tail with blacked out housing please? Many thanks. :)

Vicious LED 03-22-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OICU812 (Post 1617706)
@Vicious LED could you ask your contact if there are plans to make a smoked lens Toms tail with blacked out housing please? Many thanks. :)

I will talk to them and see if there are plans, but as I mentioned before the last time I talked to them there were no plans for black housings or smoked lens TOM's. Maybe they've since updated that and have changed their mind, but as of now there definitely are not any LEGIT black or smoked TOM's tails on the market.

OICU812 03-23-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious LED (Post 1618126)
I will talk to them and see if there are plans, but as I mentioned before the last time I talked to them there were no plans for black housings or smoked lens TOM's. Maybe they've since updated that and have changed their mind, but as of now there definitely are not any LEGIT black or smoked TOM's tails on the market.

Please do I'm very certain theres market for a smoked lens version. :)

OICU812 03-28-2014 03:11 AM

Any word or luck @Vicious LED

?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.