Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   KW V3 Coilovers Released for FR-S / BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5900)

kanundrum 05-09-2012 12:33 AM

KW V3 Coilovers Released for FR-S / BRZ

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...3&autoModClar=

• Front and Rear fitment
    Ride Height: Threaded Adjustment
    Avg low 20-50mm F & 20-50mm R.

Price: $2,500.00 (kit)
    Estimated Availability: 06/05/12
    Manufacturer Part #: 35258004

• Adjustable (and independent reacting) rebound and compression damping

Attachment 7180

Quote:

"Race technology for the road with adjustable compression and rebound damping"

State-of-the-art motorsport technology for proven performance on the streets. The independently adjustable compression and rebound damping allows for custom driving set-ups. The exclusive KW patented system has dual-level valves to provide the adjustment of the rebound damping (comfort) and the compression damping (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range. High-speed settings for driving comfort are preset by KW engineers.
  • Independently adjustable damping technology (rebound and compression damping)
  • "inox-line" stainless steel technology*
  • Individual height adjustment
  • Infinitely adjustable rebound damping
  • 14-level adjustable compression damping
  • Unique, independently functioning damping power adjustment
  • TÜV-tested adjustment parameters
  • High-quality components for long life
  • Comprehensive documentation for ease of use

Based on vehicle specifications, the rebound damping is adjusted by a spindle at the end of the piston rod. Mainly, the traction phase (rebound) controls car body vibrations and influences handling and comfort in the low-speed damping range. By using the traction phase adjustment, the vehicle can be fine tuned to the requirements of the driver. Moreover, driving behavior can be regulated from comfortably rolling to sporty and tense with improved road holding characteristics.

The compression phase adjustment is carried out at the lower end of the shock absorber via KW’s patented multi-purpose valve. The large number of pre-set parameters on this valve allow for a wide range of adjustment for individual use. The unique low-speed compression adjustment distinguishes this technology from any other. In this compression range, the driving behavior of the vehicle is drastically influenced. An increase of the damping power supports the vehicle already during compression and therefore avoids rolling and pitching. The directional stability is significantly improved.

*Not for suspensions with strut modifications (exchange struts).

kanundrum 05-09-2012 12:35 AM

oh wow awesome

Dave-ROR 05-09-2012 12:45 AM

I wonder if they'll make Clubsports.

RYU 05-09-2012 12:47 AM

and of course i'm the only one who thinks KW V3s are grossly overpriced

Dave-ROR 05-09-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 205037)
and of course i'm the only one who thinks KW V3s are grossly overpriced

They will sell for around 2k street price most likely. What makes them overpriced?

blu_ 05-09-2012 12:58 AM

Yeah its pretty standard pricing for a quality coilover, with both rebound and compression adjustment.

fatoni 05-09-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 205054)
They will sell for around 2k street price most likely. What makes them overpriced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu_ (Post 205059)
Yeah its pretty standard pricing for a quality coilover, with both rebound and compression adjustment.

i wouldnt really trust something with both compression and rebound adjustments for 2k to have any sort of repeatability in the valving and that makes these seem like a waste of money. on the other hand what are our options?

blu_ 05-09-2012 01:27 AM

IDK, they have a pretty good reputation. Though the rear springs are progressive, which kind of sucks. Clubsports would definitely be better for tracking. That said I have never used them.

RYU 05-09-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 205054)

All steel shock body vs. Alum. They market it as being better and durable but they are in fact cheaper to produce and heavier.

They don't have an independently adjustable spring preload vs. height perch adjustment.

I also don't consider having the compression and rebound independently adjustable a plus. I don't know anyone that actually tracks their car as a (weekend track guy) who DOES NOT find having to remove your tire to adjust the compression convenient. It's actually a pain in the ass. If you like taking off your tire everytime you want to make a dial adjustment then fine.. this won't be a con for you. No, don't ask me to reach my hand in there cuz not everyone has small hands. I prefer to stick to the standard 1-knob fixed ratio compression/rebound adjustment. Yes, it's not perfect but i'm not Tsuchiya either.

Opinions will vary on this one.. but the spring rates are too soft for any serious track days. Yes, they ride great on the street. :clap: for that but put any soft spring with a properly valved shock and you'll have a nice ride too.

They do their homework on the valving (I wish more coilover companies did as much R&D) but there's nothing special about their valving. They don't have some crazy patent on something new.

Personally, i'm interested to see what BC Racing and/or DG-5 will come up with for this car at probably half the price. Ok DG-5s will be more expensive; sure. I'm not saying the KWs are bad per say... but for $2400? fine.. $2k..? no thanks. If i'm looking at a 2400 coilover set I might as well bump up my budget and look at Ohlins, Motons, JRZ. There should be good options for the BRZ/FRS at $1-1.5k but this remains to be seen. My biggest concern is that a lot of vendors will release parts just to see what sticks and will slack off on doing their due diligence (i.e. R&D).

My 0.02 pesos

pithy_logorrhea 05-09-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 205093)

Personally, i'm interested to see what BC Racing and/or DG-5 will come up with for this car at probably half the price. Ok DG-5s will be more expensive; sure. I'm not saying the KWs are bad per say... but for $2400? fine.. $2k..? no thanks. If i'm looking at a 2400 coilover set I might as well bump up my budget and look at Ohlins, Motons, JRZ. There should be good options for the BRZ/FRS at $1-1.5k but this remains to be seen. My biggest concern is that a lot of vendors will release parts just to see what sticks and will slack off on doing their due diligence (i.e. R&D).

My 0.02 pesos

Don't know where you buy your coilovers at but I have RCE Tarmac IIs and they cost me $3k, so $2.5k is reasonable for V3s. Ohlins and Motons, at least for STIs and EVOs cost around $5-6k. If you want a $1k coilover you are going to get what you pay for.

Dave-ROR 05-09-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 205093)
All steel shock body vs. Alum. They market it as being better and durable but they are in fact cheaper to produce and heavier.

They don't have an independently adjustable spring preload vs. height perch adjustment.

I also don't consider having the compression and rebound independently adjustable a plus. I don't know anyone that actually tracks their car as a (weekend track guy) who DOES NOT find having to remove your tire to adjust the compression convenient. It's actually a pain in the ass. If you like taking off your tire everytime you want to make a dial adjustment then fine.. this won't be a con for you. No, don't ask me to reach my hand in there cuz not everyone has small hands. I prefer to stick to the standard 1-knob fixed ratio compression/rebound adjustment. Yes, it's not perfect but i'm not Tsuchiya either.

Opinions will vary on this one.. but the spring rates are too soft for any serious track days. Yes, they ride great on the street. :clap: for that but put any soft spring with a properly valved shock and you'll have a nice ride too.

They do their homework on the valving (I wish more coilover companies did as much R&D) but there's nothing special about their valving. They don't have some crazy patent on something new.

My 0.02 pesos

Agreed on a bit of that. I've driven v3s on Autocross and track and they've worked fine. They are easy to adjust without taking off the wheel and I'm not small nor do I have small hands. I've done so with v3s with no problem.

As you said they do their research at least unlike the majority of other low to mid level payers.

Spring rates are very easy to change and they can be custom valved at little expense.

Since they'll really sell for 2-2.1k I won't compare them to 3-6k shocks. For the 2k spot I think they are a good option though. It remains to be seen if anything else in that range will be better.

I would definitely rather have Clubsports over v3 though.

ESBjiujitsu 05-09-2012 08:46 AM

:confused0068:Excellent!!! I wonder if this has been updated on the aftermarket parts list thread! great post! great coilovers!

Racecomp Engineering 05-09-2012 10:47 AM

KW V3s have always been a great option for a street car that sees a lot of track or auto-x time. Durable, good valving, plenty of travel. Separate compression and rebound adjustment at that price point is very impressive and a nice plus if you know what you're doing.

FYI for a single adjustable you don't want the knob to adjust both of those...generally it's better when it ONLY adjusts rebound.

Also, I prefer coilovers that do not have independently adjustable spring preload vs. height perch adjustment.

There are a few things we like to change for our custom RCE Tarmac coilovers that makes them a little more hardcore but KW always gives us a great foundation to work from.

:thumbsup: to KW!

- Andrew

RYU 05-09-2012 10:59 AM

^^ re: preload, I know.. some people like the increased droop travel. Maybe i'm just old school :) *shrug*

I'm very eager to be proven wrong. That just means more selection for us; the consumer. I'm just shocked KW is selling their V3s for $2400. With all the volume this car should do i'd have thought their intro price would be closer to $1800. I'd consider them for $1800 and like I said, I don't think they are bad. It's just sometimes annoying to see the "Group Think" mentality from people who don't know what they're buying but see people on forums rave about a product to try to validate their $2400 purchase.

Btw... last I checked.. upgrading the springs on the V3 was something like a $300 option. That just puts your price at $2700 doesn't it? Perhaps i'm missing something.