Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AFRICA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Where to get springs in Gauteng? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55477)

Moe 01-11-2014 08:49 AM

Where to get springs in Gauteng?

And the mods begin...

Want to get rid of the "4x4" look of the car and install some decent springs, but nothing too aggressive.

Considering either the HR Sport or Eibach Pro Kit. Both appear to be around 20-25mm drop - don't want more than that, as I want to keep the ride comfort similar to stock.

Any recommendations on where to go in Gauteng to purchase and get them installed (at the same place). Ideally want to go somewhere that offers alignment, as I want them to check alignment before and after (obviously, after a few days once the new springs settle). My preferance would also be to go to someone that worked on the 86 before, even though these are not the most complicated suspensions.

I'm situated in Midrand, but don't mind driving a few km's to get it done.

Any recommendation on who to go to? I'm indifferent between the Eibach/H&R brands, as a mild 20/25mm drop on either is going to be much over muchness and both companies offer decent products at similar prices.

My intention is to get 18s that sit a bit more flush with the body. First step is to drop the car a bit though.

Ryan86 01-11-2014 10:39 AM

I would say after your concern over run in period, enjoy the car to 7000km, get any bugs sorted then go Wild. IMO anyway

Fish Eagle 01-11-2014 01:14 PM

Initially, I was very keen to get Eibach Prolines, but I'm very pleased that I didn't. I have enough problems with bloody speedbumps, etc, and in hindsight, I need some more convincing that lowering actually has a practical advantage with handling. Sure, it looks nice, but IMO - I think you should use your car for a few months, then decide... My 2c.

Jacques Blom 01-11-2014 03:54 PM

Think you should go for coil overs..gives you a lots of option to change your mind...harder, higher, softer ect...but find your wheels first before make to drastic changes.

Moe 01-12-2014 07:51 AM

I hear you guys and think that it's good advice. After driving the car a bit this morning, I definitely want to spend a few thousand KM's getting used to the standard set up before making any changes.

Also, don't know whether it's just perception or not, but it appears that the car has settled a bit lower (after some driving today) than the day I got it.

BTW, my previous 2nd/fun car was a E46 M3 with 19" wheels on it with practically no wheel gap. Hence, I just got to get used to the look of these little 17s and the stock suspension on the GT86. Will give it a few more months - maybe my view on the cars stance will change.

Razzle 01-12-2014 03:35 PM

Getting rid of the wheel gap makes a big difference to the look.
Just be carefull of speedbumps and steep driveways.

Like Jacques said. Coilovers are the best option. You can choose your height and it drives like stock on it's lowest setting. BC coilovers are the most affordable at the moment.
If you want something cheaper, you can contact Eibach and ask for the dealers in your area. they are quite helpful. ( eibachSA@telkomsa.net)
Going springs only does make the ride a bit harder though.