Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tinted OEM Tails (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42912)

Silverstar 07-29-2013 03:53 PM

Tinted OEM Tails
 
I've been exploring the options for rattle can tinting OEM tails and thought I would share my results.

1. Plasti-Dip Smoke: Took a whole can do do both lights. I like the shade and color. I did not like the matte finish:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/9...0081b982_c.jpg
2. Rust Oleum Lens Tint: I bought a spare set of tails to try this. 4 light coats of tint and 8 clear. It has a slight purple tint to it. They look really dark but the light comes through just fine.
Here is a side by side with the plasti-dip
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5335/9...60b5dd53_c.jpg
and a close up:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/9...a40533aa_c.jpg

3. VHT Nite Shades: Since I had my original stock set laying around I decided to try the VHT tint. I only did 3 light coats to give it a more smoked appearance instead of blacked out. I got the clear on this weekend, they won't be polished until next weekend. I'll have to update with pics. I think these are going to be my favorite.

supramkivtt2jz 07-29-2013 04:05 PM

photos are private. use www.imgur.com instead

DIM 07-29-2013 05:04 PM

Can't see anything.

Silverstar 07-29-2013 05:27 PM

I'll get the photos fixed later. For now I made them public.

Diode Dynamics 07-29-2013 05:41 PM

Have you considered tint film?


Nick C.

Silverstar 07-29-2013 06:23 PM

All the films I have seen are two piece. I wouldn't like wax and crud getting stuck in the gaps between films.

Plus all the painting and sanding is pretty fun.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.