![]() |
Insurance and coverge.
I have a few questions about cars and insurance.
I Want to AutoX but im not sure if my insurance company would keep covering my car if I where to participate in it. Also I want to mod my car and drop in a sparco seat and replace the wheel with a sparco wheel. What kind o legal/insurance implications would there be with removing the bomb(airbag) from the car. Also do they make motor sport policies that cover you on the track. this way i have a back up if something happens |
|
Airbag wise, it depends on your state. By Federal law, the vehicle owner can remove a safety device (but a shop legally can not). However, state laws vary.
On the Insurance side, removing the air bag could result in a denied claim. However, Autocross is already going to be a denied claim (even more than an HPDE) since it's a timed competition event. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
I can't imagine too much occurring at an auto-x event... having orange cone polished off of your front bumper and doors probably will fall under your deductible lol |
You are not going to do anything that would require car insurance at an autocross. Even if something bad happens, the cost of the insurance would probably be prohibitive.
Bad things do happen. I've seen a few accidents, but that was due to people being dumb (wheels falling off, off-courses resulting in body damage). In those cases, the repairs were covered through a mutual agreement or out of pocket. There is track insurance, which may not be a terrible idea. But autocross damage has never worried me. |
Did some searching for this, took awhile..
Chizmark larson insurance. They cover cars for track days, not just hpde events. Im about to talk to them to get a quote since i attend open lap days at the local track. Ill let you know how it goes. |
|
Seems like itll be too cost prohibitive. Insuring this car for 30k would be about 500 per event
|
With Lockton I insure my BRZ for 30k worth of coverage against damage on track and in the paddock at two-day HPDE events for around $150 before taxes and processing fees. Comes out to about $175 total in my state. Totally worth it. I wouldn't track my car without it.
|
Autocross I wouldn't worry about it too much. They aren't going to drop your coverage for participating in one and I've rarely heard of people not being covered when accidents do occur at them, and autox accidents are very rare.
I wouldn't remove the steering wheel airbag on a street driven car, and on our cars which have decent seats there isn't much reason for going to a fixed back seat either. Chances are if you were in an accident and the insurance company found you had removed them, they may not cover your medical expenses. |
This thread has got me thinking that I may want to start an insurance company that covers cars for auto-x events only. I feel like I would make a killing as long as I have some small print stating I dont cover cone damage.....
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.