![]() |
Ram Air
2 Attachment(s)
So, I have tinkered with the idea of building a ram air intake for the triplets for some time now and decided I would get started. I purchased a set of foglight bezels from @JDMnigel for about 50.00 and thought I would use them for the start of one hell of an air ram system. Went and spent another 25.00 for some silcone 4" to 3.5" reducing couplers and proceeded to marry the two together (I hate JB Weld). After failing the first time I resorted to something else that I'm a little embarresed to admit to. Just think waterproof bathroom sealant. Anyway, I know have them mounted onto the car.
I am customizing my Injen Intake by reducing the diameter of the hole where the Injen tube goes into the box and welding them together. I am also sealing the entire box and making a plate that has two 3.5" holes in it to bring air into the box. I thought the rest was going to be easy by just making the 3.5" pipes with a few bends going to each new air intakes at the nose. My madness has finally come to a head when I looked at what I had to work with behind the bezels. The passenger side isn't nearly as bad as the driver's side. I will probably take the nose off tomorrow (should have done that first) and see if I can find another way to route the pipes. Have thought about using silcone tubes that have the ability to bend and squish to make my way through it but have not been able to find lengths greater that 3" long. Any help would be appreciated. I was also planning on installing lights in the tubes that would come on with the headlights. Would like to finish this before the 86EXPO too. This should probably be in the engine mods but at this point in time it has form and no function. :( |
2 Attachment(s)
So I have taken the nose off and may have bitten off more than I expected. The passenger side looks easy enough. I can trim off some of the support to get the flexible tubing through with little to no problems as seen below.
|
2 Attachment(s)
The other side is a little more challenging. I want to be able to use the windshield washer so I wonder if I can use a bandsaw and cut the container and then use a piece of aluminum and bond it together and make it water tight. Then trim the support like I did on the other side. I will then use a combination of 3.5" silicone tubing and elbows to conect it all together.
|
I hate to shit on your dreams, but a ram air intake that has this many bends in the system won't gain you any more actual air induction. You'll almost never go fast enough to generate sufficient pressure to equal the suction force from the motor alone (100mph+). You'd get better use out of those fog light bezels by making them into brake cooling ducts than trying to make an air intake.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Unfortunately, the juice may not be worth the squeeze in this case--although I respect your thought process...
|
After 14 days with the manufacturing company and no work/price given I went over there today. $350 to seal the box or $500 for a custom job. And figure another $460 for parts and the original $280 for the intake and it's starting to look stupid to make it happen.
|
4 of those and you get a TC/SC.
|
Quote:
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.