Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   And They Said it Couldn't be Done!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26044)

Batman 01-10-2013 12:37 AM

And They Said it Couldn't be Done!!

Put in the Whiteline rear Tranny bushing and the Perrin support, TOGETHER!!

I was told not compatible, but give me something to potentially screw up and I'll find a way! Used an air tool and a sharp little bit to open up the hole in the Whiteline bushing JUST enough to squeeze the Perrin in there.

And holy Moses, it is a night and day difference. I have never felt so connected to my machine, sounds and feels like a beast!

Make sure to hit up Jeremy @FT-86 SpeedFactory and Jeff and Chris down @PERRIN to get yours!!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=3232

B L U E S L A T E 01-10-2013 12:41 AM

You have a detailed and focused photo?

Batman 01-10-2013 12:49 AM

I tried a ton to get it to focus on the foreground and it wouldn't. I wasn't planning on putting these in today, but there was a lift available and I didn't have my camera. Everything fits like a glove in there though!

Hawk77FT 01-10-2013 12:55 AM

OMG @Batman...this is fantastic. Funny I was thinking about this today. I have both parts and I have been told they wont fit as well as the perrin is bigger in diameter than the Whiteline part. What di you use to increase the size of that hole? I remember having to shed about 4-5 mil of the hole so any help of how you did it would be grately appreciated. How big was the drill bit you have used?

Batman 01-10-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk77FT (Post 655544)
OMG @Batman...this is fantastic. Funny I was thinking about this today. I have both parts and I have been told they wont fit as well as the perrin is bigger in diameter than the Whiteline part. What di you use to increase the size of that hole? I remember having to shed about 4-5 mil of the hole so any help of how you did it would be grately appreciated. How big was the drill bit you have used?

This is the closest picture I could find to the bit we used:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...bit-finger.jpg

We tried it in a cordless drill and it wouldn't even shed some yellow.. So we stuck it in an air tool and it tore right in. We went a couple tries, and ended up getting it just JUST barely smaller than the perrin, so that they would stay together if we pushed it on. Then as I tightened the bolt on the bottom it all sealed right in together! Surprisingly very easy!

Hawk77FT 01-10-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 655553)
This is the closest picture I could find to the bit we used:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...bit-finger.jpg

We tried it in a cordless drill and it wouldn't even shed some yellow.. So we stuck it in an air tool and it tore right in. We went a couple tries, and ended up getting it just JUST barely smaller than the perrin, so that they would stay together if we pushed it on. Then as I tightened the bolt on the bottom it all sealed right in together! Surprisingly very easy!

Is the drill bit end the size of the perrin part or much smaller and you went on the edges sheding bit by bit?

Batman 01-10-2013 01:19 AM

Our drill bit was somewhat small, so we just ground down the outsides of the hole and kept placing it up to the Perrin to gauge how much more was needed.

B L U E S L A T E 01-10-2013 01:20 AM

I know this is a pain in the ass to do..., but it sounds like it is worth while.

Hawk77FT 01-10-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 655582)
Our drill bit was somewhat small, so we just ground down the outsides of the hole and kept placing it up to the Perrin to gauge how much more was needed.

The thing is I was inclined to use a hot wire to make a perfect cut instead of shreding it. Even a very sharp knife would probably do it just fine. I am not sure yet. At the end of the day how many times i am getting my self underneath the car to look at my Perrin and Whiteline combo? I will try to do it this coming weekend!

Batman 01-10-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk77FT (Post 655593)
The thing is I was inclined to use a hot wire to make a perfect cut instead of shreding it. Even a very sharp knife would probably do it just fine. I am not sure yet. At the end of the day how many times i am getting my self underneath the car to look at my Perrin and Whiteline combo? I will try to do it this coming weekend!

You would only see that cut if you removed it, and you may not climb under there to see them, but you will feel them every time you turn that key :)

Hotdawwgman 01-10-2013 01:56 AM

hmmmmm Pretty damn cool!

Hawk77FT 01-10-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 655630)
You would only see that cut if you removed it, and you may not climb under there to see them, but you will feel them every time you turn that key :)

The thing is I have the positive shift bushing as well, and the whiteline rear bushes too. And if I go under the car, I am doing all of them not just one: Perrin transmission mount, perrin positive shift bushing, Whiteline part. And If I have time whiteline bushes. So it will probably be quite hard to pinpoint which part contributes to what, but still...I am sure I will feel the difference.

You said you heard the difference? Any more noise than normal from the transmission? or what ?

number1Tango 01-10-2013 04:56 AM

Thats a pretty cool find. but question, with all that stiffening wouldn't you have to stiffen up the motor mounts as well? if the motor is moving around wouldn't that put more stress on the tranny?

FT-86 SpeedFactory 01-10-2013 06:52 AM

Nice. We are going to do the same here and see how it works out. Videos of it with just whiteline alone and then add the perrin part. Just have to find the time.

-Jeremy