Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anyone install a front lip and/or side skirts? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24360)

swift996 12-15-2012 03:02 PM

Anyone install a front lip and/or side skirts?

I have this front lip and side skirts coming in on Wednesday.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...Z13-PU-CS4.jpg

I talked with one forum member who did the front lip but wanted to see if anyone had some pointers or DIY for these?

JPxM0Dz 12-15-2012 03:38 PM

I have the HT Auto's front lip and rear spats. I've only installed the rear spats as of yet and will install the front lip and identical side skirts you have this spring. I can't say whether your lip has all the pre-drilled holes or not, but I'm guessing it will, the HT Auto does come pre-driled. It's also unclear to me if the side skirts have existing holes for mounting, but if you look closely at the pics, they do appear to be there. Whether or not they line up with any underbody holes is yet to be determined.
I will probably use 3M tape to secure them, drill necessary holes and use self tapping screws if need be :thumbsup:

swift996 12-15-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz (Post 610667)
I have the HT Auto's front lip and rear spats. I've only installed the rear spats as of yet and will install the front lip and identical side skirts you have this spring. I can't say whether your lip has all the pre-drilled holes or not, but I'm guessing it will, the HT Auto does come pre-driled. It's also unclear to me if the side skirts have existing holes for mounting, but if you look closely at the pics, they do appear to be there. Whether or not they line up with any underbody holes is yet to be determined.
I will probably use 3M tape to secure them, drill necessary holes and use self tapping screws if need be :thumbsup:

Any recommendation on what type of 3M tape to use? I also know there are a ton of glues/epoxy products.

I'll have to order/find some black self tapping screws so they stay hidden.

JPxM0Dz 12-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift996 (Post 610732)
Any recommendation on what type of 3M tape to use? I also know there are a ton of glues/epoxy products.

I'll have to order/find some black self tapping screws so they stay hidden.

I use Scotch heavy duty double sided 3M tape, but any brand will work. As far as the the self tapping screws go, I wouldn't worry about color as they'll be hidden anyway underneath the skirt. I would however use stainless screws to prevent rusting :thumbup:

http://images.discountofficeitems.co...65547b85d3.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

swift996 12-15-2012 05:02 PM

Should I drop a little Loctite on the screws? I'm wondering if a sealant would be a good idea to keep any moisture from getting to whatever steel you would have to drill (possibly) on the side skirt.

JPxM0Dz 12-15-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift996 (Post 610769)
Should I drop a little Loctite on the screws? I'm wondering if a sealant would be a good idea to keep any moisture from getting to whatever steel you would have to drill (possibly) on the side skirt.

With the combination of 3M tape and self tapping screws, that skirt won't be going anywhere :thumbsup:

But you could use loctite or whatever if your concerned about moisture

Just make sure you clean the surface underneath before attaching, so the tape adhears properly

swift996 12-15-2012 05:20 PM

Thanks, I just need to borrow a drill as I can't find the charger for mine. I'll post some pics when I get the parts in and have time to install. I'm suppose to get the parts in on Wed and am taking Fri off from work, so I'll get right to it probably. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward, I just like getting some knowledge and a plan before attempting something. I only have 600 miles on my car and I know in the past with cars, I always have that...oops, I wish I would have known that before I did that!

GregV 12-16-2012 10:02 AM

I installed the HT Autos lip and it is plenty secure without any kind of tape or loctite. In fact, I suspect the tape will just ruin the fitment and make it impossible for the lip to sit flush.

I am on my phone so I can't link it myself but google koru autoworks blog they have a DIY installation blog post for the lip that I used for installing mine.

swift996 12-16-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregV (Post 611617)
I installed the HT Autos lip and it is plenty secure without any kind of tape or loctite. In fact, I suspect the tape will just ruin the fitment and make it impossible for the lip to sit flush.

I am on my phone so I can't link it myself but google koru autoworks blog they have a DIY installation blog post for the lip that I used for installing mine.

Thanks, for those interested, here's the link:
http://koruworks.com/blog/?p=19

JPxM0Dz 12-16-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregV (Post 611617)

3M tape was only suggested for the side skirts to hold them in place long enough to secure them further with self tapping screws.
3M tape can also be purchased in many thicknesses for a nice and flush finish :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

JoeBoxer 12-16-2012 08:06 PM

Anybody got the HT Auto FR-S lip yet? I'm liking the rear spats and wondering how it would look with the HT lip, spats, and TRD side skirts.

paperboy42190 12-17-2012 02:10 PM

I love the 3M double sided tape

Ryan86 12-18-2012 07:22 AM

Anyone fitted the HT Auto front lip and rear spats with the Batyson R side skirts.
Very interested to see if they match.

Junebug 12-26-2012 04:37 AM

I have these side skirts delivered to my house tomorrow, my plan is to get the hta rear spats and front lip as soon as its done, its taking them forever to finish the frs lip tho! :/