Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Paying down payment with credit card?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17341)

carlo1912 09-14-2012 07:48 PM

Paying down payment with credit card??

Guys, so I decided to put a down payment for a car. It is an out of state car and I'm currently away from USA. So the dealer asked me to pay the down payment using a credit card and he asked me about the details of my credit card such as card number, security code, etc.

Is it safe to provide him with such important information? What should I do? This is my first time buying a car out of state.

Really appreciate any comments and opinion. Thanks!

Re~Mix 09-14-2012 07:58 PM

I paid the down payment for my FRS with a credit card. However, I did this in person with the car 2 feet away from me.

If anything fishy happens, credit companies are real quick to lock down those charges and pester the dealer.

carlo1912 09-14-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re~Mix (Post 441284)
I paid the down payment for my FRS with a credit card. However, I did this in person with the car 2 feet away from me.

If anything fishy happens, credit companies are real quick to lock down those charges and pester the dealer.

So, even though I have to do it away from the dealer I would be safe, right? I mean if something bad happened I could simply call the bank.

Thanks!

switchlanez 09-14-2012 08:10 PM

You should be fine. I've had my number stolen twice (likely through magnetic readers planted behind card readers) and my bank refunded the fraudulent charges both times after I filled out some forms. I'd imagine this type of insurance is required by the gov't or at least standard practice among credit card companies.

If your credit card has rewards, a downpayment is the perfect thing to use it for even if you already have the cash. I downpaid the max amount that my dealer allowed on credit because my bank gives back a percent in cash for all credit transactions (more I spend in credit, the more cash I get back).

reeves 09-14-2012 11:39 PM

I paid my downpayment with a credit card also. Bought the car over the phone from a dealership in another state, and did it over the phone.

Credit card companies will take off unauthorized charges to your card too, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Aetyrno 09-15-2012 01:04 AM

Absolutely make it with a credit card, then pay it right off.

If something fishy happens, dispute the charge, then the credit company will owe you that money back.

poudre 09-15-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 441307)

If your credit card has rewards, a downpayment is the perfect thing to use it for even if you already have the cash. I downpaid the max amount that my dealer allowed on credit because my bank gives back a percent in cash for all credit transactions (more I spend in credit, the more cash I get back).

+1.

I put as much as the dealer will allow on the credit card toward the negotiated price of the car (not only the downpayment)---make 1% cash back.

Turbowned 09-15-2012 10:02 AM

(repost from FR-S forum)

Yes.

Dealerships, as sleazy as some may be, have to follow a strict code of ethics when it comes to personal information. I can't even leave paperwork on my desk that might contain customer's information, lest some random guy walk by and steal that information. We can be fined obscene amounts of money for breaking this code. Your credit card number will be used to make the deposit and then the numbers should be put in a shredder.

kndonlee 09-15-2012 10:45 AM

Do it with a credit card and not a debit card. The CC will have the protections in case of something happenning. The Debit card is much more of a pita.

carlo1912 09-16-2012 04:21 AM

How about a debit card? What do you guys think? Let me know about it. Thanks

cgrey 09-16-2012 04:35 AM

I think that...

cgrey 09-16-2012 04:36 AM

...might be easier...

cgrey 09-16-2012 04:37 AM

...areas...

Oriental Life 09-18-2012 04:15 AM

No!