Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Who else? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154535)

HotlavaFRSGT86 03-07-2024 09:31 PM

Who else?

Who else does and enjoys(most of the time anyway) doing all the work on their own vehicles besides me? Both Custom work and maintenance of course. I also think that the 86/BRZ platform is quite easy to work on, kind of reminds me of working on 60s/70s American Muscle.

HKz 03-08-2024 01:16 AM

Most routine maintenance jobs, no problem, I enjoy them and the twins were indeed great to work on. Some repairs though as an amateur mechanic without all the necessary tools can be infuriating...our 2011 Prius has a problem with the hvac blend door, service manual says to basically take apart the whole dash and here I am trying to avoid that by using all sorts of small offset screwdrivers and probably looking pretty silly squeezing underneath everything :mad0259: needless to say it has been a real pita :bonk:

HotlavaFRSGT86 03-09-2024 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3602514)
Most routine maintenance jobs, no problem, I enjoy them and the twins were indeed great to work on. Some repairs though as an amateur mechanic without all the necessary tools can be infuriating...our 2011 Prius has a problem with the hvac blend door, service manual says to basically take apart the whole dash and here I am trying to avoid that by using all sorts of small offset screwdrivers and probably looking pretty silly squeezing underneath everything :mad0259: needless to say it has been a real pita :bonk:

I feel your pain there man, usually anything behind the dash is a real mother, and what your doing with the blend doors can be quite a difficult job. Now on your Prius are they still vacuum powered or the ones with little electric actuators?

WolfpackS2k 03-11-2024 09:00 AM

I do most of own work as well. (expensive) tool dependent, but I'll tackle most anything on the difficulty scale up to a 7.

HKz 03-11-2024 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotlavaFRSGT86 (Post 3602606)
I feel your pain there man, usually anything behind the dash is a real mother, and what your doing with the blend doors can be quite a difficult job. Now on your Prius are they still vacuum powered or the ones with little electric actuators?

Well luckily, the actual flap is all good so it was just the electric powered servo that moves the flap. Finally got that sucker out the other day..now the next challenge is my local pick a part just got a 3rd gen Prius in their yard and I went over there thinking the dash would already be pulled off and allow easy access for me to grab its servo but annoyingly the dash was only really disassembled on the driver's side so I called it a day and I'll be back later this week to try and extract it :bonk: at least problem is temporarily fixed for my wife since I am able to physically turn the flap so that the AC properly blows only cold air while the engine runs.

HotlavaFRSGT86 03-12-2024 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3602692)
Well luckily, the actual flap is all good so it was just the electric powered servo that moves the flap. Finally got that sucker out the other day..now the next challenge is my local pick a part just got a 3rd gen Prius in their yard and I went over there thinking the dash would already be pulled off and allow easy access for me to grab its servo but annoyingly the dash was only really disassembled on the driver's side so I called it a day and I'll be back later this week to try and extract it :bonk: at least problem is temporarily fixed for my wife since I am able to physically turn the flap so that the AC properly blows only cold air while the engine runs.

Yea it looks like a real PITA my man. HAHA

Wally86 03-13-2024 08:13 AM

It's a nice, fun, and easy to work on car so far. :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...150383_c_d.jpg

It helps to have a bike to screw around with and build that mechanic confidence muscle with.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...38bfb5_c_d.jpg

A driveway lift helps too.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ed52b_c_d.jpg

(having some tools helps too, I suppose)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7bfa04_c_d.jpg

cmiovino 03-21-2024 12:15 AM

Depends on the condition of the car.

I did coilovers, rear control arms, and camber bolts on my BRZ that's stored over winter and doesn't have an ounce of rust on it. Every bolt came out with zero issues. Everything went right together with no issues.

Doing just brakes on my SO's Sentra is a chore. Rust, seized slide pins, ordering parts you didn't think you'd need. Using heat, drilling out snapped bolts, etc. Everything is seized and caked on.

Generally though, doing any type of maintenance, fluid changes, replacement parts, feels like you're giving the vehicle new life. Super satisfying.

NoHaveMSG 03-22-2024 06:19 PM

You guys work on your own cars ?!?

humfrz 03-22-2024 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotlavaFRSGT86 (Post 3602501)
Who else does and enjoys(most of the time anyway) doing all the work on their own vehicles besides me? Both Custom work and maintenance of course. I also think that the 86/BRZ platform is quite easy to work on, kind of reminds me of working on 60s/70s American Muscle.

Hells bells, back in the day, I used to do ALL of my own work on my automobiles.

All that was needed was a spark plug wrench, a screwdriver, a 9/16-1\2" wrench, a thin dime (to set the points), a fingernail file (to file the points), a good ear (to set the timing), a pair of pliers and a socket set if you were going to overhaul the engine.

However, today, I feel lucky to find the dipstick to check the oil - :sigh:

blsfrs 03-23-2024 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3603136)
Hells bells, back in the day, I used to do ALL of my own work on my automobiles.

All that was needed was a spark plug wrench, a screwdriver, a 9/16-1\2" wrench, a thin dime (to set the points), a fingernail file (to file the points), a good ear (to set the timing), a pair of pliers and a socket set if you were going to overhaul the engine.

However, today, I feel lucky to find the dipstick to check the oil - :sigh:

That thar is a Chevy 235 cu in straight six. 1955-1957'ish.

humfrz 03-23-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsfrs (Post 3603152)
That thar is a Chevy 235 cu in straight six. 1955-1957'ish.

Good eye, there, old man. I couldn't find a picture of a 216 - ;)

weederr33 03-23-2024 03:05 PM

I am weederr33 by name. My car easy to work on.

humfrz 03-23-2024 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3603155)
I am weederr33 by name. My car easy to work on.

:slap:

:D