Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What style and color are you using for numbers? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154410)

Desertnate 01-31-2024 09:47 AM

What style and color are you using for numbers?
 
Our local region recently published the schedule for the upcoming autocross season and this got me thinking about anything I'll need. I'm in pretty good shape for everything but my numbers.

My current white, magnetic, numbers are the only ones I've ever owned and were a quick purchase when I got tired of using tape years ago. They're cracked from use in the cold and falling apart. Time for something new.

I'm looking at options running from a single rectangular panel, numbers with an outline in various combinations, or simple numbers in a choice of colors. Besides a touch of vanity and go with something with a touch of style, I still want the numbers to be highly visible on my WRB car for course workers. I've worked the course quite a bit and hated cars with low visibility numbers.

So...what are you all using? Thought this would be a interesting conversation for the cold gray days before the season starts up again.

AustinTX 01-31-2024 12:26 PM

I recommend to follow the SCCA marking guidelines. Many of the panel vendors have no idea what's legal, so make sure to point them to the rules.
Excerpt of the rules:
D. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this color must provide adequate contrast to the background color (see pic).
E. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” (20.5 cm) high with a 1¼” (3.25 cm) stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” (10.25 cm) high with a ¾” (2 cm) stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between 25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least 10% of the height (see pic)

lonborghini 01-31-2024 01:57 PM

You can use a magnetic sign kit for white panels and eight inch number stencils from any office supply store. Stencil numbers on adhesive backed vinyl for your numbers and apply to white panels.

jflogerzi 01-31-2024 09:39 PM

https://www.trackdecals.com/collections/numbers-letters

strat61caster 02-01-2024 12:19 AM

I bought a set from autocrossdigits for the ‘21 or ‘22 season, very happy with them, I still use the bubble wrap envelope they shipped in to store them flat. With small businesses like these you can usually get something custom with an email or phone call.

I like having separate numbers because for autox being able to share a car and quickly flip numbers around is half the fun. I also autox with 3-6 different clubs in a given year so number flexibility is very useful.

Desertnate 02-01-2024 09:00 AM

Thanks for the links to some of the other vendors I'll have to look them up. I typically shop locally from SPS ( https://soloperformance.com/ ) since they are local, sponsors of our SCCA chapter, and the owners are good folks.

Fully aware of the size regulations which drives me to individual Numbers/letters, SPS will do the panels or meatballs exactly to spec, but the ordering is a bit more difficult.

I like the idea of a panel due to the ease of use since I don't share my car. But as someone has already mentioned, having the flexibility to change numbers if needed goes right out the window if someone grabs your number before your register for an event. I've never had that problem, but you never know...

As was pointed out in the comments already, contrast is the other biggie. With a WRB car, This isn't easy like black or white. I'm pretty much limited to white, yellow, neon green, or silver.

AustinTX 02-01-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertnate (Post 3600877)
As was pointed out in the comments already, contrast is the other biggie. With a WRB car, This isn't easy like black or white. I'm pretty much limited to white, yellow, neon green, or silver.

Your options are more open if you commit to a contrasting black border.

Desertnate 02-01-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinTX (Post 3600880)
Your options are more open if you commit to a contrasting black border.

Does the black border really help on a darkish car? I was thinking along the same lines, but without the ability to test it I wasn't sure.

I really shouldn't worry about aesthetics and just get something basic, but it would be nice to have something a little different that looks good.

If nothing else, looking at all the options have been an interesting diversion.

AustinTX 02-02-2024 10:20 AM

The black border makes a huge difference on many cars. Diminishing returns as they get darker, but the sharp contrast is notable on pretty much any color car. If the numbers are on a panel, the car color becomes pretty much unimportant.

ZDan 02-04-2024 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using i-Zoom Graphics (www.izoomgraphics.com) for several years now. I get "reusable vinyl" and it's great, totally reusable multiple times (at least 8 events with some care). The "Autocross Numbers" option gets you numbers and class letters. Reasonable $$, decent font and color options. Two thumbs-up:

NoHaveMSG 02-04-2024 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3600990)
I've been using i-Zoom Graphics (www.izoomgraphics.com) for several years now. I get "reusable vinyl" and it's great, totally reusable multiple times (at least 8 events with some care). The "Autocross Numbers" option gets you numbers and class letters. Reasonable $$, decent font and color options. Two thumbs-up:

I’ll have to try those. I was using the magnetic ones but they never stay on without taping the leading edge.

Desertnate 02-05-2024 09:58 AM

I like the magnetic as well. I've never had them fly off, but I've never used them at track speed either and the car only wears them at the events.

I've used mine across 4 years of events and they've held up pretty good. The only problem is they get pretty stiff in the cold which led to cracks when trying to get them off the car. I'll probably stick to magnetic because they are so easy to work with.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.