Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Simple supercharger options?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154368)

JohnH 01-13-2024 07:37 PM

Simple supercharger options??

Hi. I'd like to get a simple, basic supercharger for my 2020 BRZ. I don't want to run bigger boost. 4-5 PSI would be plenty. I am not after a "max attack" kinda thing, just something to wake it up, not overpower it.

My problem is that I can't find anything that's not a complicated, expensive kit that takes a long time to install.

Honestly, I'd just want the supercharger, mounting bracket, and a 4-5psi pulley. Not sure if they would need a separate belt or use the stock one. I could get the couplers to the airbox and throttle.

I'm thinking a Rotrex C30-64 would be great. Good flow, and capable of enough for what I want.

I don't want to run an intercooler because at that low pressure its not needed, and the complexity of the install turns me off. Plus the added cost for minimal gain doesn't attract me. If I need to I will run methanol/water injection. From my experience in boosted engines, I won't need it, but I will probably run it down the road anyway for the other benefits it brings.

thoughts?

thanks!

x808drifter 01-14-2024 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH (Post 3600009)
Hi. I'd like to get a simple, basic supercharger for my 2020 BRZ. 1. I don't want to run bigger boost. 4-5 PSI would be plenty. I am not after a "max attack" kinda thing, just something to wake it up, not overpower it.

2. My problem is that I can't find anything that's not a complicated, expensive kit that takes a long time to install.

Honestly, I'd just want the supercharger, mounting bracket, and a 4-5psi pulley. Not sure if they would need a separate belt or use the stock one. I could get the couplers to the airbox and throttle.

I'm thinking a Rotrex C30-64 would be great. Good flow, and capable of enough for what I want.

I don't want to run an intercooler because at that low pressure its not needed, and the complexity of the install turns me off. Plus the added cost for minimal gain doesn't attract me. If I need to I will run methanol/water injection. 3. From my experience in boosted engines, I won't need it, but I will probably run it down the road anyway for the other benefits it brings.

thoughts?

thanks!

1. That's kinda all superchargers do on these cars.
2. If you think these are complicated? Boost isn't for you. IE: calling routing in an intercooler complicated.
3. It sounds like your experience is only with older American V8s.

If you wanna dive in you're going to have to do it from scratch. (I never understood why the SC kits in general are so fkn expensive for almost all the cars)
The only thing OTS would be the SC. Belt/s, bracket, piping. all one off. Then there's the upgraded headers, tune. Headers aren't "needed" but something you should have.

WNDSRFR 01-14-2024 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH (Post 3600009)
Hi. I'd like to get a simple, basic supercharger for my 2020 BRZ. I don't want to run bigger boost. 4-5 PSI would be plenty. I am not after a "max attack" kinda thing, just something to wake it up, not overpower it.

My problem is that I can't find anything that's not a complicated, expensive kit that takes a long time to install.

I don't want to run an intercooler because at that low pressure its not needed, and the complexity of the install turns me off. Plus the added cost for minimal gain doesn't attract me. If I need to I will run methanol/water injection. From my experience in boosted engines, I won't need it, but I will probably run it down the road anyway for the other benefits it brings.

thoughts?

thanks!

This is a perfect description of an electric supercharger. Like the Phantom or the Torqamp. I tried to find the website for Torqamp to refer you to and can't find it on the internet. I can't believe it disappeared just like the Phantom. both products work perfectly on this platform. Now I understand the irony of the name "Phantom".

JohnH 01-14-2024 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3600031)
1. That's kinda all superchargers do on these cars.
2. If you think these are complicated? Boost isn't for you. IE: calling routing in an intercooler complicated.
3. It sounds like your experience is only with older American V8s.

If you wanna dive in you're going to have to do it from scratch. (I never understood why the SC kits in general are so fkn expensive for almost all the cars)
The only thing OTS would be the SC. Belt/s, bracket, piping. all one off. Then there's the upgraded headers, tune. Headers aren't "needed" but something you should have.

1. if that were true that would be great. I see many posts saying 8-10 psi however. And the need for intercoolers on almost all of them points to higher boost. I do understand that people just want them for bling and street "cred" so if it sells they will put them in.

2/3. Nope. I haven't owned a domestic V8 for several decades, tho I do know how to tune those as thats all there was for normal people to hot rod when I started doing it My tuning experience with turbo 4 cylinders is extensive and has gone on for decades. 300-500whp 2.0-2.3 Japanese 4 cylinders is what I have been playing with for nearly 30 years. I simply don't want to complicate this. I work on everyone elses cars all day long and its not fun for me to rip off a bumper to put an intercooler in, especially when most people have trouble putting them back on correctly. And its not needed in this situation. My car is nearly pristine, having about 3k miles on it and I want it to stay that way. Its not some rat rod with zip ties thru the panels.

But thank you for your insight.

Oh, and its clearly in my signature that my car has a header and overpipe already.

JohnH 01-14-2024 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNDSRFR (Post 3600045)
This is a perfect description of an electric supercharger. Like the Phantom or the Torqamp. I tried to find the website for Torqamp to refer you to and can't find it on the internet. I can't believe it disappeared just like the Phantom. both products work perfectly on this platform. Now I understand the irony of the name "Phantom".

yep,

very interested in the Torqamp thing. Looks like they have made it better now that tech is catching up to the idea. Guys have been trying to do this for some time now, but motor and battery tech weren't really there. I played with it sometime back in the late 90s as well, but my electronics skills are pretty limited.

Thing is, its pretty much as expensive as a belt driven SC kit, and its got limited boost up top. I wonder if the electronics could be tweaked to start the thing at higher RPM to keep the batteries and motor cooler longer? Or maybe the impeller size is just too small to flow the air required at higher rpm?

I found their website in the Netherlands, and they show a Canadian dealer and a couple of west coast US dealers but the websites are not much help. And with it being over 3000 Euros, I suspect cost will actually be more than just getting a used regular SC kit and modifying it to meet my simpler needs.

thanks for your help

Grady 01-15-2024 07:41 AM

Looks like you want the non intercooled sprintex supercharger. As simple as you can get and no intercooler.

Apolllo 01-15-2024 01:30 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the Rotrex style Superchargers come with a intercooler IE: Jackson, Kraftwerks, HKS, Vortech will come with a intercooler.

Then you have Edelbrock that does not use a intercooler, just has a heat exchanger.

I looked up Sprintex and it shows a intercooler...might be another option without.

I know you said Supercharger, but what about a Turbo kit? Something like Works stage 1 kit might be what you are looking for. No intercooler, but you do have to install their downpipe.

https://store.worksmotorsports.com/W..._p/142.211.htm

Apolllo 01-15-2024 01:35 PM

Honestly, intercooler might be the easiest part to install of a forced induction kit. Like drifter said, if the intercooler installation is the part worrying you, might not want to go down the FI route. Any forced induction kit is going to ask you to take off the bumper during installation anyways to remove the factory airbox.

FR-S2GT86 01-15-2024 03:10 PM

I installed my Harrop without removing my front bumper, although it would have been easier had I had it on a lift for the air-to-water intercooler. If you can replace an intake manifold, you can install a Harrop.

EvilPenguin04 01-15-2024 04:04 PM

Second vote for non intercooled Sprintex. I have the intercooled one and it was easy to install.

alphasaur 01-15-2024 04:41 PM

forcing compressed hot air into a high compression engine sans an intercooler seems like a recipe for a bad time.

dpfarr 01-15-2024 10:03 PM

You already have headers, is ethanol available in your area? Just do that.

EvilPenguin04 01-16-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphasaur (Post 3600116)
forcing compressed hot air into a high compression engine sans an intercooler seems like a recipe for a bad time.

Guy doesn't sound like he's interested in racing it or driving it hard constantly. As long as common sense is used and he has a good tune it will be fine. If it is a worry still then e85 can help keep it cool.

x808drifter 01-16-2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpfarr (Post 3600141)
You already have headers, is ethanol available in your area? Just do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilPenguin04 (Post 3600158)
Guy doesn't sound like he's interested in racing it or driving it hard constantly. As long as common sense is used and he has a good tune it will be fine. If it is a worry still then e85 can help keep it cool.

Thus that comment from dpfarr.
A flex fuel kit and a tune since OP already has headers is going to be way cheaper and easier.