Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Help, car turned off when coming to stop and will just crank (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154342)

Limitz 01-03-2024 10:21 PM

Help, car turned off when coming to stop and will just crank

I’ll explain first, I have a 2013 Scion frs automatic. I was driving hard… I was at 135mph only problem I noticed was that I was on high rpm almost redlining and car wouldn’t throw another gear but I feel like that’s because there was no other gear to throw in. When I was getting off the freeway and coming to a stop the car just turned off on me. The car would not crank that night but the morning after it would crank but wouldn’t turn on. I haven’t had any issues with the car prior, no misfires, no codes, nothing, car has been perfectly fine till that night.
I decided to check my ignition coils thinking maybe one unplugged since I had that problem once but they looked fine to me. Now my problem is, like a rookie I decided to do that instead of checking the codes first, but I unplugged the ECU to check the coils and the battery to clean it and that cleared my codes can is there a way to get the codes back even when car doesn’t turn on??
And if anyone had something similar happen help pls

humfrz 01-05-2024 12:05 AM

:slap:

That's for going 135 mph on a highway in the US.

Maybe your car got overheated and that is why it stopped.

Maybe it's out of gas?

I suggest you have it towed to a shop and have them fix it.

:sigh:

alex87f 01-05-2024 10:52 AM

I did 150 mph with mine, and some extended runs (10-15 minutes) well over 120 mph, these cars don't really overheat at those speeds. There's enough airflow to keep the oil around 115°C (240-ish). My guess is this is something else.

Tow it to a good mechanic who knows these cars. Or at least a Subie shop.

humfrz 01-05-2024 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex87f (Post 3599556)
I did 150 mph with mine, and some extended runs (10-15 minutes) well over 120 mph, these cars don't really overheat at those speeds. There's enough airflow to keep the oil around 115°C (240-ish). My guess is this is something else.

Tow it to a good mechanic who knows these cars. Or at least a Subie shop.

YIKES! That must have been on a looong downhill run ..... with a "Georgia overdrive".

:confused0068:

:D

x808drifter 01-06-2024 03:13 AM

This has led me to some asshole on the miata forums asking "Top speed for a stock FR-S?"
That was over 10 years ago.
XD

alex87f 01-06-2024 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3599565)
YIKES! That must have been on a looong downhill run ..... with a "Georgia overdrive".

:confused0068:

:D

On flat ground! I was surprised as well. Cold-ish, dry air may have helped, as probably did the worn out (i.e. smaller diameter) tyres. For some reason the car felt in particularly good shape that day.

It was an express IKEA run before an expected lockdown :D

humfrz 01-06-2024 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex87f (Post 3599583)
On flat ground! I was surprised as well. Cold-ish, dry air may have helped, as probably did the worn out (i.e. smaller diameter) tyres. For some reason the car felt in particularly good shape that day.

It was an express IKEA run before an expected lockdown :D

Well, now, THAT explains it - ;)