Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Replacing blown FA-20. What options to get? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154209)

gshopper 11-13-2023 10:57 AM

Replacing blown FA-20. What options to get?

A few weeks ago, I posted about my 2019 BRZ which blew up its engine at the track. Probably threw a rod, but I won't know until they pull the engine. It was stock except for a JDL 4-2-1 header, flex fuel kit, and a tune from a prominent East Coast tuner. Although it's not clear what happened, it was probably not oiling, as the motor was strong up to the point it grenaded. ?Maybe the tune??

I have a short block on order, and it should be arriving soon. The block is OEM, and I will have the header and flex fuel kit reinstalled. I'll probably get a tune from CSG trying to prioritize longevity over power.

Does anybody have suggestions for anything to do while we are doing this? I've committed to an OEM block, but maybe Killer B oil pickup? worth it? I'll have them check the clutch. Anything else to do?

Thanks in advance.

alex87f 11-14-2023 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshopper (Post 3596331)
A few weeks ago, I posted about my 2019 BRZ which blew up its engine at the track. Probably threw a rod, but I won't know until they pull the engine. It was stock except for a JDL 4-2-1 header, flex fuel kit, and a tune from a prominent East Coast tuner. Although it's not clear what happened, it was probably not oiling, as the motor was strong up to the point it grenaded. ?Maybe the tune??

I have a short block on order, and it should be arriving soon. The block is OEM, and I will have the header and flex fuel kit reinstalled. I'll probably get a tune from CSG trying to prioritize longevity over power.

Does anybody have suggestions for anything to do while we are doing this? I've committed to an OEM block, but maybe Killer B oil pickup? worth it? I'll have them check the clutch. Anything else to do?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an oil cooler?

gshopper 11-14-2023 03:04 PM

Yes, forgot to mention. Car is dual street and track car. Probably sees about 20 HPDE's per year.

terboboost 11-15-2023 01:39 PM

Personally, I would be cautious with "flex fuel". Pure 93 or specific ethanol content is easy to tune, on the other hand, creating a reliable tune for somewhere between 0%-90% ethanol across a range of operating conditions seen in track & street is extremely difficult. Pure speculation, but I would consider your motor blew because of a bad tune at 45% ethanol (in combination with an infinite complexity of external inputs).

Next time, consider running whatever ethanol content is specifically tuned for when you are at the track, and save the "Flex fuel" for street convienance.

Dzmitry 11-16-2023 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terboboost (Post 3596492)
Personally, I would be cautious with "flex fuel". Pure 93 or specific ethanol content is easy to tune, on the other hand, creating a reliable tune for somewhere between 0%-90% ethanol across a range of operating conditions seen in track & street is extremely difficult. Pure speculation, but I would consider your motor blew because of a bad tune at 45% ethanol (in combination with an infinite complexity of external inputs).

Next time, consider running whatever ethanol content is specifically tuned for when you are at the track, and save the "Flex fuel" for street convienance.

Disagree and agree with you :)

The thing I agree with you on is that there isn't enough data out there to prove you wrong and say a proper flex fuel tune isn't "perfect" enough for the various conditions, especially on track. But I also can't agree on the fact that there is enough data out there that says otherwise. Everyone who has ever spoken about flex-fuel on this platform has had nothing but positive things to say and as far as I know, most have been trouble free. I have had no issues personally, but I also can't speak for the track. The car has always felt much better when running on ANY ethanol than it does when running on E10 (93).

One thing for sure that could never be disputed is the reliability of a tune, who it came from, how well it was done, etc... I had my car tuned, dyno tuned, retuned, and perfected to my tastes by the end. By two different reputable tuners. Not for absolute max power, but for the simple reason of wanting to make sure it was tuned properly, to the best ability. Who knows if it was worth it. I figured if I go down the rabbit hole of taking my chances on tuning, then not only do I not want to cheap out, but I want extra assurance.

Another thing to keep in mind is flex-fuel is not news for our platform or many others. Flex-fuel has been a thing on OEM vehicles since the late 90's. Though I could be wrong, I don't recall there ever being an issue with any flex-fuel vehicles, minus the standard reliability issues of any typical vehicle.

I understand it's not related to the track as you specifically mention, but my bet would be against the flex-fuel being the specific target of the problem. Could be the luck of the engine and its not so incredible oiling abilities. Could be the tune was just not quite tip-top shape. Could be the oil he used. Could be a small driver error not long before that he didn't think to be much of a big deal, etc. We'll never know unfortunately. All we know is these engines do blow here and there, especially when discussing track. Like with any vehicle, you need to be prepared for it, get back up, and do it again if that's your desire.

norcalpb 11-16-2023 01:15 PM

https://y.yarn.co/3b0c2ef9-1b3c-482f...547aa_text.gif

Just kidding, but it’s probably what I would do.

DarkPira7e 11-16-2023 03:37 PM

Longevity tune is called stock

EAGLE5 11-16-2023 06:30 PM

There is a lot of joy to be had with a stock engine and a stock tune.

NoHaveMSG 11-16-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3596575)
Longevity tune is called stock

Unless you have a stock tune with a bad transient ignition timing table in an early car. I also noticed the stock MAF scaling is not that great in a lot of cars. Probably just sensor variance.

DarkPira7e 11-17-2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3596588)
Unless you have a stock tune with a bad transient ignition timing table in an early car. I also noticed the stock MAF scaling is not that great in a lot of cars. Probably just sensor variance.

Yeah my comment was directed just for their model year. Early cars were different, it is good to clarify though. I just wanted to be witty

Ultramaroon 11-20-2023 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3596607)
I just wanted to be witty

Remark was both witty and on point.
https://i.imgur.com/RUyKzemg.jpg

gnarjunkie 12-03-2023 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshopper (Post 3596331)

Thanks in advance.

FWIW... every motor I've lost to oiling issues ran great right up until it blew. EJs, not FAs... but still.

jflogerzi 12-04-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGLE5 (Post 3596582)
There is a lot of joy to be had with a stock engine and a stock tune.

E85 from CSG aka zach with a flex fuel tune is the way to go.

Spuds 12-04-2023 09:39 PM

Other things you could do when replacing the engine if you are still looking for that half a month later, TOB and clutch fork, engine mounts, spark plugs and coilpacks, accessory belt.