Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What Brand Of Gas Do You Use (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154157)

Snoopysvet 10-27-2023 09:03 PM

What Brand Of Gas Do You Use

I have a 2023 with only a few thousand miles. I live ib Cali and only have 91 Octane.

I have been using the same gas station, a small independent station called Super Star.

Well I was out far away from home and needed gas, I pulled into a Chevron that had 91 octane and holy cow the car runs so much better.

My question is this...

Do name brand stations have better quatilty gas
or
Does my local Super Star gas just have crappy gas.

Spuds 10-27-2023 10:54 PM

Most people who claim to have firsthand knowledge of these matters on the internet will say it doesn't really matter, it's all the same gas, just different additives. I have no reason to doubt that, however:

I typically stick with Shell, Sunoco, Mobil in that order. Except in central PA, where I have found Sunoco 93 to be more knock resistant than Shell 93 for some reason.

My reasoning is that the big brand stations go through fuel faster and have a greater amount of control/negotiating power over quality of the gasoline and additives they get.

But I really don't know what I'm talking about, just answering the question with my opinion.

Ultramaroon 10-28-2023 02:14 AM

Never take advice from a potato

Dirty Harry 10-28-2023 09:17 AM

Nearly always use Shell V-Power (98 RON where I live). Apparently has cleaning additives, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside using it, but could be bs. It would be interesting to know if there is an actual difference.

Sapphireho 10-28-2023 11:08 AM

Maybe your independent guy cheats a little and puts some regular in his premium?

As far as additives, could be outdated info, but years ago, the Porsche Development Center in Weissach tested all the gas additives used by the big oil companies of the time. The results were the only additive that did any good was Chevron Techron. However, Chevron didn't put enough of it in the gas to do anything.

I have personally witnessed tankers of all brands lined up at the refinery in Benicia California. They each put their additive in the tank, then fill it up.

WNDSRFR 10-28-2023 11:08 AM

I always buy whatever 93 or 92 octane is the cheapest. Used to be BJ's gas, lately been using Marathon. Never had crickets or any other problems.

Jakuzure 10-28-2023 11:29 AM

I usually go to Shell for the air miles rewards. obviously i get premium, which i think is 91 here

Sapphireho 10-28-2023 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3595480)
Never take advice from a potato

Depends on the potato.

pope 10-28-2023 11:48 AM

Meijer, the only local stations that can be relied upon to accept ApplePay.

bcj 10-28-2023 11:59 AM

Corn ethanol or potato ethanol?
Sort of a regional thing.

Ultramaroon 10-28-2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3595493)
Depends on the potato.

I'm not very good at choosing the trustworthy ones.

I'm of the same opinion as yours and Spuds'. It's fine as long as it comes from a station seeing steady business. I added a gallon of toluene to nine gallons of 92 (alleged) octane once. It was glorious, expensive, and painful to go back to 92.

Snoopysvet 10-28-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcj (Post 3595496)
Corn ethanol or potato ethanol?
Sort of a regional thing.

Snoopysvet likes - Charlie Brown 'I got a rock'

AK2112 10-28-2023 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet (Post 3595472)
I have a 2023 with only a few thousand miles. I live ib Cali and only have 91 Octane.

I have been using the same gas station, a small independent station called Super Star.

Well I was out far away from home and needed gas, I pulled into a Chevron that had 91 octane and holy cow the car runs so much better.

My question is this...

Do name brand stations have better quatilty gas
or
Does my local Super Star gas just have crappy gas.

you answered your own questions right before you asked them

OkieSnuffBox 10-29-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3595473)
Most people who claim to have firsthand knowledge of these matters on the internet will say it doesn't really matter, it's all the same gas, just different additives. I have no reason to doubt that, however:

I typically stick with Shell, Sunoco, Mobil in that order. Except in central PA, where I have found Sunoco 93 to be more knock resistant than Shell 93 for some reason.

My reasoning is that the big brand stations go through fuel faster and have a greater amount of control/negotiating power over quality of the gasoline and additives they get.

But I really don't know what I'm talking about, just answering the question with my opinion.

That's because it's true.

I care less about brand and more about how new and busy the station is. Busier stations cycle through the tanks faster.