Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OEM muffler heat-shield/metal sheet (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154011)

nico_rsx 09-19-2023 12:53 AM

OEM muffler heat-shield/metal sheet

Hi,
Is there really an important function for the metal sheet (heat shield?) above the OEM muffler? Mine is starting to come loose (rust), and I'm wondering if I'll have problems if I remove it entirely. I sometime track the car, so higher exhaust temperature.

Thanks

FR-S2GT86 09-19-2023 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_rsx (Post 3592861)
Hi,
Is there really an important function for the metal sheet (heat shield?) above the OEM muffler? Mine is starting to come loose (rust), and I'm wondering if I'll have problems if I remove it entirely. I sometime track the car, so higher exhaust temperature.

Thanks

From what I have read after a few years here, battery leakage and electronics failures such as coilpacks seem to occur more frequently due to the excessive heat build up, especially during track use.

blsfrs 09-19-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_rsx (Post 3592861)
Hi,

Thanks

Taking the shield off shouldn't be a problem. None of the aftermarket headers have them and folks run them without problems.

The are some batteries that have an open vent (Everstart, ask me how I know) that will leak acid went used on the track.

The #3 coil pack can get hot and fail. Heat wrapping that part of the exhaust can help. I always open my hood after a session and, knock on wood, haven't had a problem with coil packs.

Clipdat 09-19-2023 11:27 AM

I believe he's talking about the metal plate that resides above the rear muffler section under the trunk, not the OEM header, overpipe, or front pipe heat shields.

blsfrs 09-19-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3592898)
I believe he's talking about the metal plate that resides above the rear muffler section under the trunk, not the OEM header, overpipe, or front pipe heat shields.

You are correct. I need to get through my 3rd cup of coffee before I post.

I would at least want to keep the shield over the Cat. The one over the muffler, not so much.

nico_rsx 09-20-2023 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3592898)

Yes, it's the shield between the trunk and muffler.