Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Trying to diagnose a noise from the rear (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153804)

Stephen02 08-02-2023 04:07 PM

Trying to diagnose a noise from the rear

So about a year ago I had a clicking noise coming from the back of my car. I messed up and misdiagnosed it as a bad axle and replaced both of the axles with Autozone axles (I don't know what I was thinking:bonk:). The noise turned out to be something inside of the tire. Anyway after replacing the axles I got a different noise, a squeaking when shifting in lower gears, taking off from a stop and going over bumps. I sounds similar to the squeak you get from the AC but it's louder and is coming from the rear. It's louder with the windows down. It also seems to be worse when the car is warm. I thought it was just the Autozone Axles being shit so I put my stock ones back in but I still had the noise. The car drives completely fine I've done like 4 autocrosses and 2kish miles but the noise seems like it's geting worse. Lately I've noticed that I sometimes get the squeak noise when moving the gear lever into second as in it squeaks before I let the clutch out. I've torque checked all the rear suspension bolts and the axle nuts and given everything a good firm shake. Everything feels solid there's a little bit of play in the axle shafts but I don't know how much play is normal for those. Could the diff seals or c clips have gotten messed up when I installed the axles? There's no fluid leaking.

humfrz 08-02-2023 06:43 PM

YIKES - that problem is waaay over my pay grade. I guess that rocks in the hub caps is not a problem anymore - :iono:

However, I will ring up ol @Ultramaroon for you. He is good with weird funny sounds.

:thumbsup:

blsfrs 08-03-2023 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen02 (Post 3588607)
So about a year ago I had a clicking noise coming from the back of my car. I messed up and misdiagnosed it as a bad axle and replaced both of the axles with Autozone axles (I don't know what I was thinking:bonk:). The noise turned out to be something inside of the tire. Anyway after replacing the axles I got a different noise, a squeaking when shifting in lower gears, taking off from a stop and going over bumps. I sounds similar to the squeak you get from the AC but it's louder and is coming from the rear. It's louder with the windows down. It also seems to be worse when the car is warm. I thought it was just the Autozone Axles being shit so I put my stock ones back in but I still had the noise. The car drives completely fine I've done like 4 autocrosses and 2kish miles but the noise seems like it's geting worse. Lately I've noticed that I sometimes get the squeak noise when moving the gear lever into second as in it squeaks before I let the clutch out. I've torque checked all the rear suspension bolts and the axle nuts and given everything a good firm shake. Everything feels solid there's a little bit of play in the axle shafts but I don't know how much play is normal for those. Could the diff seals or c clips have gotten messed up when I installed the axles? There's no fluid leaking.

Can you post a video with the sound? Our ears are better than our eyes at figuring out noises. But that's just my opinion.

PTrain 08-07-2023 08:29 AM

I may have a similar issue that popped up after I installed a new clutch. When you hear it taking off from a stop, does it only happen if you are at low rpms?

Stephen02 08-17-2023 04:01 PM

Alright I know this is quite delayed but here's a video. I was out of town helping my sister move then I had to move myself. I guess the noise is more of a click than a squeak. You may have to turn the volume up to hear it in the video but in real life it's clear as day.
https://youtu.be/x-ZE1-ubv_U

Stephen02 08-17-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTrain (Post 3589016)
I may have a similar issue that popped up after I installed a new clutch. When you hear it taking off from a stop, does it only happen if you are at low rpms?

Define low rpms. I never really go above 2k if I'm taking off from a stop. I hear it taking off at 1500 all the time. I've also heard it going around slow corners at autocross don't know the exact rpm but probably around 3k. It's also posible that the noise is still happening at higher rpm but the engine in addition to other noises just drown it out.

Ultramaroon 08-20-2023 12:39 AM

Why do I hear what sounds like a power steering pump that's low on fluid? That's really all that stands out to me.

Stephen02 08-20-2023 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3590344)
Why do I hear what sounds like a power steering pump that's low on fluid? That's really all that stands out to me.

That's a great question the car just started sounding like that one day when I turned it on. I have whiteline diff transmission and subframe inserts which create some gear whine so I didn't think that much of it. You might have to turn the volume way up and or wear headphones to hear the clicking. It's much more obvious in real life.

Ultramaroon 08-20-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen02 (Post 3590413)
That's a great question the car just started sounding like that one day when I turned it on. I have whiteline diff transmission and subframe inserts which create some gear whine so I didn't think that much of it. You might have to turn the volume way up and or wear headphones to hear the clicking. It's much more obvious in real life.

I think I hear the glassy ticking sound. Is that what you mean? Like tapping on a glass with a metal spoon? That's likely an under-torqued axle nut. The hub splines aren't manufactured very accurately. They depend (too much, IMO) on the nut being tightly cinched.

The whine sounds like it's from something driven by the accessory belt.

Stephen02 08-20-2023 09:04 PM

Yup. That's it.

Ultramaroon 08-20-2023 09:17 PM

Get new nuts and don't spare the torque.

Stephen02 08-20-2023 09:43 PM

Thanks I'll try that. Any idea how long do the alternators last on these cars? I'm wondering if the power steering pump noise could be caused by the alternator going out

Ultramaroon 08-20-2023 10:25 PM

The original alternators are pretty stout. It could be a single shorted diode in the rectifier block. I think you would hear the ripple current over the radio. Does it quit whining when the regulator is disconnected? It might throw a code when you do it but meh. It's a valid test.