Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   How many 2013 FRS still running without doing valve spring recall (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153024)

Eazy-V 04-09-2023 11:40 PM

How many 2013 FRS still running without doing valve spring recall

Just wondering how many 2013 FRS are out there still running without doing the valve spring recall? I bought my 2013 brand new and have held off on doing the recall since I only have 25,000km on it, but wondering if I should just have it done.

Clipdat 04-10-2023 01:45 AM

Don't do it.

soundman98 04-10-2023 10:48 PM

the recall was specifically because subaru's metal supplier was caught rubber-stamping entire batches of metal as compliant with subaru's specifications. so subaru really has no idea if the metal is correct or not. but they erred on the side of caution and issued the recall to protect themselves from the fallout of the potential that the incorrect metal was used to make the valve springs, which could lead to fracturing springs.

my personal inclination is that most of the metal was likely close to the correct formulation, with a strong possibility that it might not have met subaru's specified standard, but well within what most other automakers would use for the same components.

i guess the question is "what makes you feel luckier?" ****ing around in a factory-sealed motor that relies on a human tech laying down multiple specific-size beads of caulk to properly seal it, all the while risking damage from taking it apart and putting it back together again, or leaving it and hoping the metallurgy of the springs is correct?

Clipdat 04-10-2023 10:52 PM

Hoping that the metallurgy is correct because I'd make the argument that if they were going to fail, they would've failed by now.

soundman98 04-11-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3576521)
Hoping that the metallurgy is correct because I'd make the argument that if they were going to fail, they would've failed by now.

correct. we also don't know how stringent subaru's original specifications are compared to typical standards.

could've just as easily gotten the new guy that over-specs everything. who knows, maybe even the 'inferior' version is just what gets sold day-in/day-out to kia.

TommyW 04-11-2023 10:08 PM

If you don’t need to do it for registration then don’t do it. It’s a Russian Roulette recall.

Sapphireho 04-11-2023 10:12 PM

Exactly 3.

Thanks again Mr. Owl.

Opie 04-12-2023 10:47 AM

Never done it....if a valve spring fails in the future, it'll still be covered...

NoHaveMSG 04-12-2023 11:41 AM

Mines still alive. If it was going to break a valve spring it would have done it a long time ago.

Eazy-V 04-12-2023 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies and I agree, it doesn't seem worth doing it now. Also since my FRS is modded, I think dealers will either charge me extra due to the mods or will only accept my car once I remove the mods (ie turbo etc).

I'm curious if the dealer will actually give you the recall bag of parts, so you can have it for yourself if you ever need parts down the road ie rebuilding engine etc? I doubt it lol, but wonder if they'd do it if you sign some waiver.

humfrz 04-13-2023 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 3576363)
Just wondering how many 2013 FRS are out there still running without doing the valve spring recall? I bought my 2013 brand new and have held off on doing the recall since I only have 25,000km on it, but wondering if I should just have it done.

Welp, my 2013 FRS falls under the spring recall.

However, I have decided not to have it done.

It has about 35,000 miles on it, it's not modded and I drive it easy.

My take is that iffen it ain't broke by now - don't break it.

:iono:

NoHaveMSG 04-13-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 3576828)
Thanks for the replies and I agree, it doesn't seem worth doing it now. Also since my FRS is modded, I think dealers will either charge me extra due to the mods or will only accept my car once I remove the mods (ie turbo etc).

I'm curious if the dealer will actually give you the recall bag of parts, so you can have it for yourself if you ever need parts down the road ie rebuilding engine etc? I doubt it lol, but wonder if they'd do it if you sign some waiver.

As far as mods, it really depends on the dealer. Some will say yes, there is a thread now with a turbo car that the dealer did the recall on, some will say no.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152946

They won't just give you the parts, they need to complete the recall repair. Or "repair" in this case. For S&G I asked my local dealer what if my car has aftermarket valve springs and they just looked at me like I asked them solve 4564534.4567/5456143.4567 without a calculator.

Opie 04-13-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 3576828)

As per the recall instructions, the dealer must complete the recall at no charge. If the car is not stock, the dealer can charge the actual labor time that at is added due to the modifications.

The dealer is not able to give you the recall parts, however, you may be able to purchase them.

jeffchap 04-13-2023 03:32 PM

Mine, 94k miles

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk