Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   End of the era (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152256)

jeepmor 01-11-2023 09:37 PM

End of the era

I was told the 86 platform is done, there will be no 2024's. The 86 cars end this year. Local Toyota dealer salesperson/friend told us last night.

Please tell me they're wrong?

PulsarBeeerz 01-11-2023 10:17 PM

Deadass facts bro? Shiii.

jeepmor 01-11-2023 11:12 PM

I asked some pointed questions if this was insider information. She said no, if she knew it is now public info.

I'm in the denial phase right now. Ah well, great run. Aftermarket is still a literal candy store due to the platform overlap with subi.

Ghost of Akina 01-11-2023 11:51 PM

maybe its because the new 86 will launch with a subi engine but rather using Toyota 3 cylinder...

Overdrive 01-12-2023 01:25 AM

Maybe because they won't be able to sell it in Europe after 2025? And if that's the case there probably isn't enough of a case to keep producing it for the rest of the markets when production is already rather limited.

I guess if anybody is on the fence, they might want to make the hop.

soundman98 01-12-2023 02:36 AM

how does that make sense? they just made an all new motor, all new molds, and a revised chassis. all to sell 20,000 units at $35k?

if you had told me there wasn't going to be a 2nd gen in early 2022, before they made the new molds, before the new motor, i'd believe you.

but now? they're committed to at least a 4-5 years of production, if nothing else, to pay off the molds and design work they committed to the project.

but the fact that it's one of the few manual sports cars left, if that was anywhere near official news, every single autoblog would be talking about it. google shows zero results for it.

fredzy 01-12-2023 07:24 AM

Yeah only thing I can imagine is she was confusing what she heard about EU/UK. That’s such a small chunk of the market for this car (not that way more people there wouldn’t have them) that I wouldn’t expect the EU closing the door to it to have any influence on continuing with US/ROW production.

spcmafia 01-12-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepmor (Post 3563801)
I was told the 86 platform is done, there will be no 2024's. The 86 cars end this year. Local Toyota dealer salesperson/friend told us last night.

Please tell me they're wrong?

I think she miss-understood that there won't be other GR86, meaning, Toyota does not have plans to come up with another model. Production years already planned should stay the same, there won't be a 3rd gen. Not as GR in that sense.

"Speaking through a translator to Australia's Drive about future GR models, Suezawa said, "There is [sic] none left actually, so this [the GR86] is the last.” It's not clear if he meant the absolute last ever, full stop, or if there are no longer any more in the works at the moment. It's also possible that future sports cars may not fall under the Gazoo Racing brand. It was less than a year ago that Toyota showed what appeared to be a concept for an electric sports car with a mid-"engine" profile.
Suezawa went on to pitch the GR Sport lineup, which dresses up more pedestrian models with sportier wheels, aero bits and sometimes suspension tuning á la BMW's M Sport or Mercedes's AMG-Line. “For the GR [performance brand], basically this [the GR86] is the last," he said. "But we have a GR Sport [brand] that we will be [widening] with models like the Corolla, Yaris Cross and C-HR.”

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/10/06/...-gr-cars-gr86/

Edit. I could also be very wrong because of the restrictions in Europe going into full effect in 2024. So it wouldn't be feasible for either Subaru/Toyota to keep making it. So in fact, 2023 is probably the last year for current gen. Toyota is already planning a Hybrid for 2025.

https://www.carvibz.com/news/next-ge...rid-1-6-turbo/

fredzy 01-12-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3563844)
Edit. I could also be very wrong because of the restrictions in Europe going into full effect in 2024. So it wouldn't be feasible for either Subaru/Toyota to keep making it. So in fact, 2023 is probably the last year for current gen. Toyota is already planning a Hybrid for 2025.

https://www.carvibz.com/news/next-ge...rid-1-6-turbo/

lol not sure what carvibz is all about, but I'd take that article with a huge grain of salt. A shortened IS platform FR hybrid running the G16 (especially automatic) would be a neat thing, but it wouldn't be a GR86 successor. Certainly not price-wise.

Like I said, I don't expect the end of EU market for ZN8 to affect plans for the rest of the world. I can't see how that would be a smart thing to do when the demand is still solid, and probably will be for at least a few more years. The only other reason I could imagine would be Subaru kicking them out of Gunma to make space for more profitable stuff there.

Tcoat 01-12-2023 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredzy (Post 3563853)
lol not sure what carvibz is all about, but I'd take that article with a huge grain of salt. A shortened IS platform FR hybrid running the G16 (especially automatic) would be a neat thing, but it wouldn't be a GR86 successor. Certainly not price-wise.

Like I said, I don't expect the end of EU market for ZN8 to affect plans for the rest of the world. I can't see how that would be a smart thing to do when the demand is still solid, and probably will be for at least a few more years. The only other reason I could imagine would be Subaru kicking them out of Gunma to make space for more profitable stuff there.

Subaru isn't going to stop at this point. Parts contracts are usually for 4 years with a minimum of 3. Other than under very special conditions (i.e.COVID shut downs) the assembly plants are obligated to pay for the parts planned whether they use them or not. Car manufacturing is not done on a seat of your pants basis but through long term planning and contracting. If Subaru/Toyota decided to drop out of the plan it would cost them more than it would to build the vehicles and immediately crush them. This is why the Aztec was made for 5 years even though they did not sell worth beans.

We saw "this is the last year for the 86/BRZ" stories and insider scoops every single year from 2016 on so this "news" is really not unexpected. If it was to be believed then the car has already been dropped at least 5 times and any of us driving one post 2016 are delusional since they can't exist.

Tcoat 01-12-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 3563838)
Maybe because they won't be able to sell it in Europe after 2025? And if that's the case there probably isn't enough of a case to keep producing it for the rest of the markets when production is already rather limited.

I guess if anybody is on the fence, they might want to make the hop.

European sales totaled around 2% of the gen one cars and even less than that for the GR global sales so I doubt they care if they won't be able to sell them there.

alex87f 01-12-2023 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3563860)
European sales totaled around 2% of the gen one cars and even less than that for the GR global sales so I doubt they care if they won't be able to sell them there.

I doubt that one, the Yaris GR was sold -almost- exclusively in Europe.

OkieSnuffBox 01-12-2023 10:36 AM

Yeah, not buying it. The typical salesperson doesn't know shit about cars, they are just there to make money. Nor do I believe click bait websites that are known for being click bait websites.

Nor do I believe Toyota/Subaru is going to make a Hybrid twin.

OkieSnuffBox 01-12-2023 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex87f (Post 3563871)
I doubt that one, the Yaris GR was sold -almost- exclusively in Europe.

Europeans are willing to pay top dollar for hot hatches, Americans aren't.

Look how long the Focus RS was sold in Europe before they finally brought one to the states.