Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clutch or transmission problem? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148981)

86runner 03-01-2022 01:07 PM

Clutch or transmission problem?

Getting shift lockout in first and reverse when going from a stop, been happening since I had a new clutch put in.

Ultramaroon 03-01-2022 03:15 PM

Not getting full disengagement. Take it back and make them fix it before you kill the balk rings in your syncros.

humfrz 03-01-2022 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86runner (Post 3507971)
Getting shift lockout in first and reverse when going from a stop, been happening since I had a new clutch put in.

Welcome to our forum - :)

I suggest someone bleed and adjust the clutch.

;)

Turdinator 03-01-2022 08:56 PM

What clutch did you have installed? its not an ACT by any chance?

zberz 03-07-2022 06:47 PM

Curious which clutch you have. I have an ACT that started doing this. I've been living with it for a while but intend to replace soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Turdinator 03-07-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zberz (Post 3509240)
Curious which clutch you have. I have an ACT that started doing this. I've been living with it for a while but intend to replace soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are quite a few threads around about ACT clutches dragging and making engaging first difficult.

I'd strongly recommend exedy clutches as they make the OEM unit for Toyota and Subaru.

stillslow93 03-22-2022 09:43 PM

I just made a post about this. I have an ACT that was acting up and the culprit was bad install (I had a shop do it TWICE)

I finally did it myself last fall and have been smooth sailing ever since

Grady 03-23-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillslow93 (Post 3512281)
culprit was bad install (I had a shop do it TWICE)

Please tell us more. How the hell do you F up a clutch install?

churchx 03-23-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillslow93 (Post 3512281)
I just made a post about this. I have an ACT that was acting up and the culprit was bad install (I had a shop do it TWICE)

I'm still driving stock clutch and i have not boosted mine or drift it, to require uprated clutch install .. but this topic interests me too. As seen too often "ACT slips, get X instead". I'm guessing, that maybe something in their install instructions is fscked up for such (relatively) frequent misinstalls? But wondering, what .. (if for nothing else, at least to point to shop to pay extra attention and double check with)

pope 03-23-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3512350)

:iono: and unfortunately his “solution” includes no details about finding anything done incorrectly and even states he doesn’t know what the shop or anyone else did (or does) wrong.

My guesses are better lubrication, millimeters of tighter hydraulic actuator positioning for a hairs worth more release, the disc burnt down just enough to release, or dumb luck.

Irace86.2.0 03-27-2022 06:46 PM

Maybe the new clutch lowered the clutch engagement point closure to the firewall. Maybe adjust the clutch pedal height to make sure you have enough foot travel to fully disengage the clutch from the flywheel.

stillslow93 04-06-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3512350)

Well I would love to know to because they did it twice and tried to tell me that something was wrong with my transmission because of my problems (which it most certainly was not the culprit)

I can tell you that I used the metal alignment tool from OS Giken after hearing that the plastic tool shipped with ACT is garbage. I also made sure to grease everything from the fork to the TOB and took my time tightening everything to spec and checking everything twice.

I haven't had any issues since I did the install, but BOTH times after the shop put the clutch on it started acting up about 500 miles in. Seriously, no clue what they were doing but it was a reputable shop in the area who specializes in Evos/WRX/Etc

Irace86.2.0 04-09-2022 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillslow93 (Post 3515571)
Well I would love to know to because they did it twice and tried to tell me that something was wrong with my transmission because of my problems (which it most certainly was not the culprit)

I can tell you that I used the metal alignment tool from OS Giken after hearing that the plastic tool shipped with ACT is garbage. I also made sure to grease everything from the fork to the TOB and took my time tightening everything to spec and checking everything twice.

I haven't had any issues since I did the install, but BOTH times after the shop put the clutch on it started acting up about 500 miles in. Seriously, no clue what they were doing but it was a reputable shop in the area who specializes in Evos/WRX/Etc

When you changed your clutch, what did you see that was wrong with it? I’m assuming you slid the OS Giken tool in position to see how misaligned things were before disassembling the clutch assembly to realign it?

I’ve done multiple installs of the clutch assembly and transmission with home made alignment tools to plastic tools. Ive never had a problem with lockout or aligning things. It is surprising that a shop failed twice.

zc06_kisstherain 04-12-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3516024)
When you changed your clutch, what did you see that was wrong with it? I’m assuming you slid the OS Giken tool in position to see how misaligned things were before disassembling the clutch assembly to realign it?

I’ve done multiple installs of the clutch assembly and transmission with home made alignment tools to plastic tools. Ive never had a problem with lockout or aligning things. It is surprising that a shop failed twice.

I agree it's good that he fixed it but...:iono: