Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking for track tire recommendations (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148284)

Lynxis 01-04-2022 05:27 PM

Looking for track tire recommendations
 
Thread is just for getting opinions and ideas about what is out there and what people think will work best for my use case. I'm looking for a 200tw track tire.

First about my car as it sits:
RCE SS1 coilovers, ~1 inch lower than stock (-3f/-2.2r alignment)
Tuned on OFT.
Car is otherwise stock.
I might get a header, finances allowing.

About me:
I've been doing track and autocross a few times a year since I got my BRZ, although I did take 2 years off after an accident so I'm now running on around ~5 years of experience. I will track a few times a month and autocross when it's available locally but COVID has put a damper on local autocross so I don't expect to get much time here, if any at all.

About the tires:
Looking for 200tw track tire recommendations, planning to get 245/40r17 to go on these.

http://www.midnightwanderers.com/car/wheels.jpg

Just looking for opinions and input. I'm strongly considering the Hankook RS4, Continental ExtremeContact Force, or the Falken FK660 but I'd like to hear about others.

NoHaveMSG 01-04-2022 05:46 PM

Are you going for times or just lapping? If just lapping I'd just grab something less peaky that is going to last like the RS4 or even the SX2 that you can get more consistent behavior out of over most of a session. I like the Dunlop Z3 too, tire wear will be higher than the RS4. I haven't heard much on the Force yet. The Falken RT660 is peaky and doesn't last long as it is closer to the super 200 category then the RS4 or Z3. I can't speak for autoX.

Lynxis 01-04-2022 06:23 PM

I should have clarified that fast, consistent lapping is my primary focus but long term running costs are also a factor which is why I listed the RS4 and Force in particular as they are the direction I'm presently leaning but I'm still completely open to other ideas at this point. I included the 660 because it's quite affordable where I live and should be notably faster although it won't last as long as the other tires I mentioned.

I already have notable amounts of track experience on the Michelin Primacy, Hankook RS3 and the Falken FK510, in that order. I wore out the RS3s and couldn't afford to replace them so I started tracking on my street driven FK510s because seat time > tire but I'm in a better financial position this year and have some choices. Although I haven't driven the SX2, I'd estimate that the FK510 would be pretty comparable and having already driven the RS3 previously, I want to move to something faster.

NoHaveMSG 01-04-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynxis (Post 3493738)
Although I haven't driven the SX2, I'd estimate that the FK510 would be pretty comparable and having already driven the RS3 previously, I want to move to something faster.

Getting into something faster you are going to have to start to deal with more tire wear and peakiness. The RT660's are not overly expensive so they may be worth a try. I had mixed feelings about them on track. They were pretty good up to around 80F on an overcast day. Once the sun got on the track, or temps went up they became like the other super 200's, good for 2-3 laps then needed cooled down. I was hoping they would be a bit more of a bridge in performance and behavior between the RS4/Z3 and the A052/RE71R. I also only got about 4 days of 6 20min sessions out of them. All the autoX guys I know really liked them.

Here is a good video on quite a few of the commonly available 200TW tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75xWB3Rnho&t=716s

villainous_frx 01-04-2022 09:30 PM

Sounds like RS4 might be your best bet. I picked up my set of 245/40/17 in April of 2021 from Tires23 in Missisauga and got a fresh 0221 date code set.

strat61caster 01-05-2022 02:09 AM

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

Maybe rival s or v730 if you want more pace then rs4 but will still hold up to lapping and make good autox times.

NoHaveMSG 01-05-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3493848)
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

Maybe rival s or v730 if you want more pace then rs4 but will still hold up to lapping and make good autox times.

I have been contemplating trying the v730 but I haven't personally talked with anyone that has ran them so I am a bit scared to try them. The v720's I heard where not good so that keeps it at bay.

JohnH 01-06-2022 03:21 PM

subbing as I am in the market for tires for the spring. I know my tires are almost new, but I don't really like them.

I probably will just get 225/45r17 for my stock (Sport tech RS) wheels.

I don't drive in the cold at all as I don't want any salt/brine damage, or idiots hitting me. I really don't even drive in the rain too much, as we have an awd wagon for when its shitty out. Of course I will get caught in the rain now and again, as I live in a wet area.

BigTuna 01-06-2022 04:16 PM

Check this article out.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

EDIT: JK, this was already posted
Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3493848)
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

Maybe rival s or v730 if you want more pace then rs4 but will still hold up to lapping and make good autox times.


I was just on this hunt as well. I'll be using the summer set for daily duty + track days and autoX. I went with Falken RT615k+. I would have gone with RS4s if they were available from TireRack at the time. The RT660s seem fantastic, but while daily-ing the car I prioritized wear over ultimate grip. Extreme Contact force was also one I liked, but the price tag was too much higher than the 615k. I've also had great experiences with the Maxxis Victra VR1.

Lynxis 01-06-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTuna (Post 3494432)
I was just on this hunt as well. I'll be using the summer set for daily duty + track days and autoX. I went with Falken RT615k+. I would have gone with RS4s if they were available from TireRack at the time. The RT660s seem fantastic, but while daily-ing the car I prioritized wear over ultimate grip. Extreme Contact force was also one I liked, but the price tag was too much higher than the 615k. I've also had great experiences with the Maxxis Victra VR1.

I'm personally in no rush, these are basically dedicated track tires and track season doesn't start until late April for me so I can definitely wait for availability if I need to. I'm looking into options now so that I can make an order in February or March and there should be no issue with me getting them before I need them.

I watched the video posted by @NoHaveMSG and read the guide posted by @strat61caster and are both very helpful and now has me considering the following:

Rival S 1.5 for ultimate pace
RS4 for long term running costs
V730 as a middle ground which is the tire I'm presently leaning towards

I know the video review places the V730 on par with the RS4 but that review just does 5 laps then gets out and swaps tires. The written guide and other in depth reviews suggest the pace is similar to the RT660 after noting that some adjustments to pressures and driving style were needed to reach that.

kevaughan 01-07-2022 10:26 AM

My vote is the RS4 since in my case I'll be daily driving on them as well. If money wasn't a problem obviously it goes without saying a dedicated track wheel and tire set up is ideal.

blsfrs 01-07-2022 06:00 PM

I can't give you too much long term feedback but I like my Federal 595 rs rr. My engine crapped out after one day on them at VIR. It was fun while it lasted.

whataboutbob 01-08-2022 12:25 AM

If you are looking to get the most laps/fun out of a set of tires, you may want to include in your consideration those tires whose tread is symmetrical across the face of the tread as they allow you to "flip" them on your wheels which can give you longer useful life.

Lynxis 01-08-2022 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 3494881)
If you are looking to get the most laps/fun out of a set of tires, you may want to include in your consideration those tires whose tread is symmetrical across the face of the tread as they allow you to "flip" them on your wheels which can give you longer useful life.


Definitely something to consider depending on the tire and setup. In my particular case, I'm not too concerned, my experience with the wear on the set of RS3s I had suggests I'd probably just break even flipping tires on the wheels. That set wore really evenly, ~1/32nds on the outer groove and ~2/32nds on the inner groove when I let them go. They were heat cycled out and it was the end of their 3rd season. I had asked anyways back then and shops around here quoted nothing less than $100 to flip the set which I think is a lot to pay for maybe an extra event or two on an ~$800 set of tires.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.