Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   how does 400 whp feel? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145877)

johnbrz 06-24-2021 01:40 PM

how does 400 whp feel?
 
I have ridden in someone's 300 whp brz, and it felt FAST. Only did a couple pulls, but it certainly felt much faster than my stock brz and not too unsafe. Now, I am wondering how 400 whp would feel? I'm thinking about putting in a k24 with supercharger or turbo and maybe getting to around those power numbers, but my main concerns are will the car lose its character? and how scary or how unsafe it will feel at those power levels? I've been told by a tuner, he's hesitant to get people beyond 350 whp since he had one guy crash in a ditch with too much power.

Ashikabi 06-24-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbrz (Post 3444327)
I have ridden in someone's 300 whp brz, and it felt FAST. Only did a couple pulls, but it certainly felt much faster than my stock brz and not too unsafe. Now, I am wondering how 400 whp would feel? I'm thinking about putting in a k24 with supercharger or turbo and maybe getting to around those power numbers, but my main concerns are will the car lose its character? and how scary or how unsafe it will feel at those power levels? I've been told by a tuner, he's hesitant to get people beyond 350 whp since he had one guy crash in a ditch with too much power.

I had a stock LS1 swap. Under 300hp but like 350 pounds of torque. It felt crazy. It was roudy as fuck. No traction. I was pretty hesitant to push it in corners after the swap.

That motor decided to be a V6 so I'm building a supercharged LS3 that'll be 6-700hp. I dunno why, cuz the LS1 was crazy. But I guess I'm crazier. If you're looking at swapping you better have a deep fuckin wallet. Cuz there is nothing cheap or practical about it. In fact, you're better off just buying a pre-swapped car. They're a hell of a bargain

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

churchx 06-24-2021 02:42 PM

Expensive.
Be it reliable enough build with all the accompanying mods needed, or just quick bolton turbo and turning up boost and replacing grenading components. Extra maintenance / wearables costs. More money spent on speeding tickets. More of point and shoot driving on track instead of precise balancing. Also normally 250-300hp with lsd is reasonable maximum to be able to put to ground on single driven axle. Unless one finds it enjoyable to fight with lacking traction all the time .. reminds me one old Topgear serie about AMG merc .. that had lit TC light all the time even on tarmac. At some point "more power" just costs more money but doesn't net meaningful gains.

EAGLE5 06-24-2021 02:58 PM

400HP feels differently depending on the car and how the power is produced.

humfrz 06-25-2021 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They said it would be fun .......they said ......

Breadman 06-25-2021 09:15 AM

It feels like having no money. Going from stock to that, you will be in probably 30k+ with supporting mods

justnutsandbolts 06-25-2021 09:31 AM

I pass 400 HP LS cars at the track with my stock 200hp....just saying.

Ashikabi 06-25-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justnutsandbolts (Post 3444563)
I pass 400 HP LS cars at the track with my stock 200hp....just saying.

But if you had 400hp you'd pass them even faster

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

NV89 06-25-2021 04:34 PM

My 86 had 400 WHP on E85 and it was fun. However the transmission is a weak spot. Got rid of it due to tranny going out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Irace86.2.0 06-25-2021 05:28 PM

400whp is pretty fast, but not crazy, IMO. It is definitely manageable, especially with a flat torque curve and a linear power band. The cheapest route will probably be to get a GR86 and supercharge it on E85 with a JRSC or Edelbrock/Harrop. If I hadn't blown my engine or wasn't so invested in my car then I would have sold the old one and bought a new model and supercharged it. As it turns out, I am doing a turbo K24. The experience will likely be far different going from a Harrop FA20 to a turbo K24, but in general, the car should be very quick without being ridiculous. My plan is to do boost by gear, limiting boost in 1st and 2nd just to tame the likelihood of wheel spin.

humfrz 06-25-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3444704)
400whp is pretty fast, but not crazy, IMO. It is definitely manageable, especially with a flat torque curve and a linear power band. The cheapest route will probably be to get a GR86 and supercharge it on E85 with a JRSC or Edelbrock/Harrop. If I hadn't blown my engine or wasn't so invested in my car then I would have sold the old one and bought a new model and supercharged it. As it turns out, I am doing a turbo K24. The experience will likely be far different going from a Harrop FA20 to a turbo K24, but in general, the car should be very quick without being ridiculous. My plan is to do boost by gear, limiting boost in 1st and 2nd just to tame the likelihood of wheel spin.

Damn hot rod! - :slap:

:D

jflogerzi 06-26-2021 12:59 AM

400 WHP is is pretty damn fast. Gotta remember this car weight 2750. Hardest problem is putting the power down. 300-350WHP with 250-300tq is the sweet spot for the chassis.

Irace86.2.0 06-26-2021 12:03 PM

I think maybe 450whp+ would probably be the point where it gets serious. At 450whp, losing traction in 3rd gear is much more likely if someone was flat footing it. In 3rd gear, now the car is moving fast enough that spinning the tires under momentum gets more sketchy. Driving skill starts going up much faster from there. If you think you are Chris Harris or some pro drifter that can manage tire slip at highway speeds then continue to add power. If someone want to only do highway, rolling-races, lazy shifting it in 5th or 6th then 600whp might be fine. It really depends on the driver’s skillset and their intended use. Autocrossing 400whp could be a handful for even experienced driver. It is much easier to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast in some situations, especially when it is dam near impossible to break mechanical grip, especially if the fast car is the type of fast car that doesn’t provide progressive feedback until it finally does slip, and it can happen in an instant with the application of too much throttle.

Capt Spaulding 06-26-2021 03:14 PM

Most of my ex0perience with fast things is on two wheels. I second (and third) everything @Irace86 said. Particularly, the notion that, as the horsepower available goes up. skill level really needs to rise with it. To be sure, if you have 400-500whp you aren't required to use it, but ... as Harry said, "you got to know your limitations." If you don't know or know and don't heed those, pretty unpleasant things can happen.

I would MUCH rather race (or track) a 60 hp motorcycle than a 160 hp beast. Both can and will allow your to kill yourself, but the 160 hp version will tie the noose for you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.