Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Is there OFT tune for Stg 2+with Grimmspeed & 94 Octane? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145803)

BoxerRumble 06-18-2021 01:45 PM

Is there OFT tune for Stg 2+with Grimmspeed & 94 Octane?

Hello, I got this 2015 Blue BRZ. It seems to have come with some sort of tablet.

The other day I downloaded the latest software for the Open Flash Tablet, and upgraded the tablet's firmware. I backed up any image files that came on the tablet, and downloaded the latest ones (although the versions seems to be the same as already on the tablet, I think 4.03). I then reflashed the car to Stage 2 Plus (nonE85), so the 3rd one in the list. It all worked great.

I have a ticket in with the Open Flash company, but while waiting to hear back, perhaps you can clarify some things I am confused about.

1) I read about a Stage 1 Grimmspeed tune. Is there a Grimmspeed tune for Stage 2 Plus? I understand the MAF mappings are quite similar to stock, so it may not make much difference, but I would like to make maximal use out of every last tweak I can, even if I only gain 1 horsepower!

2) The prior owne ran 91 octane gas. Locally I cannot get E85 however I can get 94 octane. I have read that that the stock Stage 2 tune is for 91, but I have also heard about a Stage 2 tune for 93? If so, where can I download it?

The prior owner told me that after flashing the standard tune, the car "learns" your mods and driving style and takes advantage of them.. and I get that. I read somewhere that the software will sense your better octane levels and adapt accordingly. That is great to know, but if there happens to be a similar tune available that is already written for 93 octane, that might be an even better place to start from, no?

3) I am considering replacing the stock overpipe (OP) and front pipe (FP) with an aftermarket one, such as the JDL UQFP with 1 hi flo cat and 1 resonator (2.5" version), or the HKS dual resonated FP. The owner told me if I did that, I would eliminate the restriction of both the stock cat and the smaller diameter of the stock OP and FP. That is great. Except.. would the OFT Stage 2 Plus tune be able to sense that also, and adapt, so that I would gain more horsepower? Or would the difference be so minimal that my $700 invested wouldn't be worth it?

spcmafia 06-18-2021 01:53 PM

1) I believe the Stage 2+ would have to get a custom tune done it since OFT tunes do not naturally support CAI/SRIs. OFT is not the greatest when it comes to respond to tickets, so good luck.

2) Per the Knowledge Base and How to from OFT
Stage 2+ Hardware Requirements:
  • Aftermarket CAT-LESS header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Stock Airbox (with or without aftermarket drop-in panel filter)
  • Premium grade fuel

So there's a gray area of what OFT considers premium fuel, but I would run 94 since 91 is the bare minimum for these engines. Remember that OFT tunes are generic and not costumed.

3) Refer to info posted on 2. Again, OFT tunes are generic, the only increase in power, in a more noticeable way would be going EcuTek for each custom performance part of your vehicle. Not saying that OFT is bad, I have it, but you don't extract every possible HP from the supported mods each stage allows. Below for their parameters on each stage.

https://support.openflashtablet.com/...e-requirements

spcmafia 06-18-2021 01:59 PM

Also, what the last owner probably was trying to say when he mention that the car "learns" your mods, is that after flashing, there's a dead pedal feeling for the first 45 miles or so, maybe less. The car has to learn the new A/F ratio, etc. So it "learns" it because of it's electronic throttle. That way you don't have a deadzone on the gas pedal. Could've been him just up-selling the car.

RToyo86 06-18-2021 02:08 PM

The stage 2 tune is designed for good American 93.
Our gas is crap compared to American 93. You most definitely want to run 94 to get the most out ot the tune. Monitor your IAM while driving. Even on 94 I doubt you'll hit 1.

I managed .98 IAM in the dead of winter with 25f intake temps.

NicFromTheNorth 06-18-2021 06:06 PM

I have had a similar experience to that of RToyo86 with Petro 94. I had to pull quite a bit of timing to Stage 2+ for ensuring that the IAM remained 1 at all times. Also, if you want to start calibrating MAF and timing yourself for your particular setup, I suggest you pick a fuel and stick to it.

Daily86 06-18-2021 08:04 PM

Check out wayneroms.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

steve99 06-19-2021 01:17 AM

Husky 94 seems good as well from doing a few tune for Canada cars.

can do custom tune on oft if needed

nayrb 03-08-2023 04:24 AM

Update?

Did you ever get any updates regarding the tune?