Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leone RX EA to EJ swap..... what engine? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145135)

MrSir 04-29-2021 02:13 PM

Leone RX EA to EJ swap..... what engine?
 
If you have experience with the swap, if you don’t have experience with the swap, if you don’t even know what an engine is........ share your thoughts.....


I have a 1989 RX coupe that is on its second set of heads, on the sixth engine, at about 170k miles......... its time to do the smart thing.......

Most people go for the EJ22 because it’s durable, and because most of these people off-road their old gens. I don’t plan on off-roading a car that there are basically none of, so I don’t care about stump pulling torque.....

This is more of a philosophical dilemma..... I can fab mounts, strip and join harnesses, I can make any adapter I damn well please, so that doesn’t matter. What matters is having a car that’s balanced and fun to drive. I could throw a solid lifter EJ22 in it and have decently a reliable project car, but that doesn’t particularly interest me. I could slap a built closed deck legacy RS motor in it and bake all 4 tires off, but that doesn’t particularly interest me either..... so, of your opinion, what would be the most sensible engine swap? I just want something that can run on 91, that I can drive up and down the mountain without getting stranded, and that I can fix with parts at autozone.

ichitaka05 04-29-2021 02:57 PM

Go something different... EE20

Jordanwolf 04-29-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSir (Post 3428084)
If you have experience with the swap, if you don’t have experience with the swap, if you don’t even know what an engine is........ share your thoughts.....


I have a 1989 RX coupe that is on its second set of heads, on the sixth engine, at about 170k miles......... its time to do the smart thing.......

Most people go for the EJ22 because it’s durable, and because most of these people off-road their old gens. I don’t plan on off-roading a car that there are basically none of, so I don’t care about stump pulling torque.....

This is more of a philosophical dilemma..... I can fab mounts, strip and join harnesses, I can make any adapter I damn well please, so that doesn’t matter. What matters is having a car that’s balanced and fun to drive. I could throw a solid lifter EJ22 in it and have decently a reliable project car, but that doesn’t particularly interest me. I could slap a built closed deck legacy RS motor in it and bake all 4 tires off, but that doesn’t particularly interest me either..... so, of your opinion, what would be the most sensible engine swap? I just want something that can run on 91, that I can drive up and down the mountain without getting stranded, and that I can fix with parts at autozone.

What about an FB? I don't see a point in putting an old motor in unless the new stuff won't fit that is...

MrSir 04-29-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordanwolf (Post 3428104)
What about an FB? I don't see a point in putting an old motor in unless the new stuff won't fit that is...

I considered doing an FA swap, but I think I’d have to like........ no longer have a radiator. Lol there’s barely room for an EJ as it is.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.