Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Need Help with Rear Coilovers (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143813)

Hamza 01-08-2021 05:18 PM

Need Help with Rear Coilovers

Hey so I'm a new member here. I have a 2013 gt86.

Basically I decided to go at swapping out my stock (old owner chopped springs) with Tein advance Z's. All went well but on the rear I'm stuck on the final bolt.

On the driver's side I cannot at all match up the inner most bolt (one most towards the center of the car) of the control arm to where it's supposed to bolt in. I've tried pulling the rotor, where it budges but there's still about 1 mm of space needed for the bolt to fit. I've tried both increasing and decreasing load on the coil. But nothing is getting the holes to align.

I'd attach a picture but this is my first post and kinda confused how to to do that :*)

Any help would be very appreciated as I've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to get this one bolt.

whataboutbob 01-08-2021 09:46 PM

I'd suggest unbolting the coilover mounting bolt from the lower control arm. Then get the lower control arm bolt (the one you are having issues with) into the subframe. Once you've got all of the suspension pieces bolted up, use a floor jack under the wheel knuckle to move the suspension into place so that you can re-install the coilover mounting bolt into the lower control arm.

Hamza 01-09-2021 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 3398571)
I'd suggest unbolting the coilover mounting bolt from the lower control arm. Then get the lower control arm bolt (the one you are having issues with) into the subframe. Once you've got all of the suspension pieces bolted up, use a floor jack under the wheel knuckle to move the suspension into place so that you can re-install the coilover mounting bolt into the lower control arm.

Yeah I've already tried that. I'm leaving every bolt out just doing the control arm bolt but it's not aligning by a tiny amount. I'm using a jack to hold the arm up as well :(

Hamza 01-09-2021 07:47 AM

Alright update, I'm not sure if I somehow missed it in the diys but releasing the hand brake worked and the bolt slid right in. Quite frustrated I spent a good 5 hours on 2 minutes of work.

Ohio Enthusiast 01-09-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamza (Post 3398618)
Alright update, I'm not sure if I somehow missed it in the diys but releasing the hand brake worked and the bolt slid right in. Quite frustrated I spent a good 5 hours on 2 minutes of work.

Yeah, I've had the same frustration doing some transmission and diff bushings. Always remember to release the handbrake and put the transmission in neutral after lifting the car.