Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Private Mechanic doing Valve Spring replacement (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138250)

TommyW 12-21-2019 05:12 PM

Private Mechanic doing Valve Spring replacement

Has anyone done this? I'm in Calif where its mandatory to have this done for registration. It isn't a safety issue so not sure why. Anyway I'm thinking of having a private mechanic do the work and just pay for it. I've just heard too many horror stories about engine failure after the dealers performs the work then the owners are stuck with a 7K bill.

Tcoat 12-21-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3284969)
Has anyone done this? I'm in Calif where its mandatory to have this done for registration. It isn't a safety issue so not sure why. Anyway I'm thinking of having a private mechanic do the work and just pay for it. I've just heard too many horror stories about engine failure after the dealers performs the work then the owners are stuck with a 7K bill.

A dealer still has to sign off on it.
Most of the horror stories were back when they first stated doing them and then taper off as the issue became known. Check with a couple of dealers and see how many they have done and if they had problems. I think you will find they pay a lot more attention to the work now.

TommyW 12-21-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3284998)
A dealer still has to sign off on it.
Most of the horror stories were back when they first stated doing them and then taper off as the issue became known. Check with a couple of dealers and see how many they have done and if they had problems. I think you will find they pay a lot more attention to the work now.

Thanks man. Yeah that’s the plan. I have 3 dealers on my call list for Monday to talk with service managers. It seems they’ve narrowed the reasons for failure down to a couple of things so my plan Is to outline those and discuss with the manager and tech that will be doing the work to make sure they’re aware.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 12-22-2019 12:48 AM

Also @TommyW it's important to note you're in california which most likely has a wide spread of dealers that have done this valve spring job before. So as tcoat said you can contact them and have less of a chance of something going wrong.

Stomachbuzz 12-22-2019 05:48 PM

This knee jerk fear over the valve spring recall is like totally unreal lol

Yall know it's like a 12 hour job as per the shop manual, right? Like, the motor has to be removed, and then the heads pretty thoroughly disassembled.
It's a lot of labor to pay for.
And then you have to pay for the new springs. I have no idea how much they are, but it's laughable to even consider paying for it out of pocket when it's being offered for free.

One of the mechanics is a Subaru tech, with all the parts laid out, specific instructions from Subaru, all the tools and equipment to do the job. By now, they have probably done at least 200 of them. Oh, and, by the way, it's free. The entire job, plus oil change, plus coolant, and a few other small trinkets.

The other mechanic is a private tech, with none of the parts until you either supply them, or he finds a list of all the parts necessary. He has no instructions, other than his own intuition/experience. Maybe he can find some torque values, but that's it. And all his tools/equipment are generic.
This will very likely be the first valve spring recall he's ever done.
Oh, and his price is $1000 + parts.

Tough call....

If you're THAT worried about it with $$$ to blow, why don't you just let the dealer do it for free, sign off on the recall, and then immediately go to a private shop and have performance valvetrain put in or something?
The fear mongering just don't make sense to me.

Sapphireho 12-22-2019 06:24 PM

Well there you go. Stomachbuzz has spoken. Nothing to worry about.

TommyW 12-22-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3285180)

Well with all the posts and the lawsuits I’d say that there are concerns. Toyota dealers working on Subaru FA20’s. Then not taking the blame when the motor goes then you have a very expensive problem. I think Coat is right though enough time has gone by to where they should know what the fu*k they’re doing. Good time to get a new clutch installed to handle the FI that’s coming soon

Impureclient 12-22-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

I want to hear what he has to say about boxers vs briefs. I just hope he sides with boxers because I don't know if I can handle the backlash otherwise.

Sapphireho 12-22-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3285186)
Well with all the posts and the lawsuits I’d say that there are concerns. Toyota dealers working on Subaru FA20’s. Then not taking the blame when the motor goes then you have a very expensive problem. I think Coat is right though enough time has gone by to where they should know what the fu*k they’re doing. Good time to get a new clutch installed to handle the FI that’s coming soon

In all seriousness, if it were me, and had to have it done, I would do what @Tcoat says. I would talk with every dealer within driving distance, and find out how many they have done, results, etc.. I would bring up all concerns and causes of failure from others on this site. Then after work was done, I would drive it easy for a couple weeks and then drop pan and clean pickup screens, etc. I would probably even do that again a month later.

Stomachbuzz 12-22-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impureclient (Post 3285190)
I want to hear what he has to say about boxers vs briefs. I just hope he sides with boxers because I don't know if I can handle the backlash otherwise.

I'm sorry, who are you, again?

Stomachbuzz 12-22-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3285186)

I'd rather have my engine blow up at dealer's fault and be part of a legitimate lawsuit than have the motor blow up by a private mechanic and have zero recourse.

TommyW 12-22-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz (Post 3285220)
I'd rather have my engine blow up at dealer's fault and be part of a legitimate lawsuit than have the motor blow up by a private mechanic and have zero recourse.

well I have a very trusted mechanic that has worked on all but my Porsches for 30:years. I’m sure this is hard for you to understand. Carry on....

Sapphireho 12-22-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz (Post 3285219)

I am Batman.

Impureclient 12-22-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz (Post 3285219)

I am a travelling bacon collector with a penchant for kite flying. I have arachibutyrophobia and like long walkways that lead to beaches.

Sapphireho is a former conjoined twin educated in endogamic marital counseling and trained in Sambo. He likes long walks on the beach, is allergic to peanuts and has luposlipaphobia. Also, he's Batman.