![]() |
Had some new fender trims painted/installed. Would you guys be OK with these defects?
I went to a local shop that was recommended on the forums. The shop is over an hour away, but I went there because I was under the impression they would do a good job.
I supplied a pair of brand new 2017+ BRZ fender trims still in the packaging. I paid $80 to have the new fender trims painted and installed which seemed very reasonable. When I picked the car up it was raining so I did not get a very good look at the car. Yesterday, I noticed the driver side fender trim has some blemishes in the paint and 2 scratches on the unpainted plastic. Would this be acceptable to you? Should I expect the shop to repaint the part? What about the scratches on the plastic? Imgur album: here https://i.ibb.co/cy96gTV/1.jpg https://i.ibb.co/c3yGWnv/2.jpg https://i.ibb.co/znDHVYg/3.jpg https://i.ibb.co/KVTsb9G/4.jpg https://i.ibb.co/GdDQVpp/5.jpg |
Yes, complain. The "fish eye" is 100% NOT acceptable. I don't see the scratches.
IMO, Even for $80, they should have wet-sanded and re-cleared the blemish. |
Quote:
|
That looks terrible, there is a lot of orange peel. I'm amazed they let it go looking like that.
Even for $80 I'd expect no damage and paint that is laid down smoothly. |
Not acceptable. That fish-eye/nib requires a re-spray.
The scratches? I'd want them to replace the pieces. No easy way to fix that plastic. Hopefully you have pictures of the trims before you brought them as they may claim they were scratched upon arrival... hope you get it resolved. |
i've gotten less orange peel out of a spray can...
|
If you have to get that close to see it - I wouldn't worry about it - :)
humfrz |
Quote:
I went to a different body shop last night and had them look at the work that was done (more of the car was painted than the fender trims). They said everything was good except some specs of dirt in the clearcoat. They pointed out a few other small spots besides the fender trim. At this point I'm planning to try and get the shop that did the work to at least fix the specs of dirt in the clearcoat. I would like them to replace the plastic bit they scratched as well, but I suspect they will fight me on that. You have to buy a whole new fender trim to get the unpainted plastic piece. |
I'm surprised a shop that specializes in painting would let that be like that. They somehow may not have noticed, I'd bring it up. Be assertive, but not bullish; they'll work with you if you're courteous.
|
Unacceptable.
|
Quote:
That paint job though... https://media3.giphy.com/media/l3Ucl...YaSQ/giphy.gif |
I think I know that shop you're talking about. They are getting worse and worse for body and paint. I had them paint a fresh new unpainted bumper. I don't think they prepped it very well PLUS.... they put very thin coats on. In a few weeks. I had dozens of rock chips. That was over a year ago. Now it looks like its been peppered by 5 shotguns. IMHO, only go to them for LS and 2J Swaps.
Go to Jones Junction Body in Bel Air, MD. I used them when someone collided my rear end and needed the trunk and rear bumper replaced. Paint Matched beautifully and thick coats... couldn't be happier.! |
You should have cut them and put in some metal mesh..80 bucks to paint was a rip off lol. Oh and it looks like shit take it back and make them fix it or get your money back and do the mesh.
|
Quote:
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.