Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gear grinding issue (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134448)

Csinani 05-01-2019 04:26 PM

Gear grinding issue
 
I have recently bought my second BRZ and it was perfectly fine up until recently. I was getting a gear grind when shifting into 6th gear from anything above 4500 RPM. And I only had 2,400 miles on my new car. So I took it in and they told me that I needed a new transmission and that they ordered it for me already.

I was wondering a couple things. First when they run the diagnostic and send to Subaru on how I was driving the car (not quite sure what the correct name for it is) what would cause them to void my warranty? Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.
:brokenheart:
Thanks!!

humfrz 05-01-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csinani (Post 3213504)
I have recently bought my second BRZ and it was perfectly fine up until recently. I was getting a gear grind when shifting into 6th gear from anything above 4500 RPM. And I only had 2,400 miles on my new car. So I took it in and they told me that I needed a new transmission and that they ordered it for me already.

I was wondering a couple things. First when they run the diagnostic and send to Subaru on how I was driving the car (not quite sure what the correct name for it is) what would cause them to void my warranty? Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.
:brokenheart:
Thanks!!

Well, first off, Csinani, welcome to our happy clan - :clap:

Curious, just how fast were you going when you shifted from 5th to 6th at 4500 rpms ?- :eyebulge:

Was your first BRZ a MT?

Warranties are not "voided", however, the dealership can "deny coverage" - :sigh:

If they are ordering you a new transmission, it sounds like they are going to warrant it. - :iono:

It's not unusual for a new transmission in these cars to be a bit "stiff" until they get broke in. However, if the dealership decided it was a bad transmission, maybe it was defective (maybe a bad synchronizer).

I don't see how the car could record your bad driving habits (as far as the transmission goes).

Nope, the MT in my 2013 FR-S shifts perfectly (as long as I don't mess up) - :D

I hope they get your car fixed up soon.


humfrz

Reamer 05-01-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3213559)
Curious, just how fast were you going when you shifted from 5th to 6th at 4500 rpms ?- :eyebulge:

humfrz


This is what I was wondering too but assumed he might be talking about just getting on a freeway and shifting straight from 3rd/4th or something.

humfrz 05-01-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 3213571)
This is what I was wondering too but assumed he might be talking about just getting on a freeway and shifting straight from 3rd/4th or something.

Oh, you might be right. Maybe I didn't read it thatta way, because, I'm from the old school, shift 1-2-3-4-5-6 in that order - :)


humfrz

Csinani 05-23-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3213559)
Well, first off, Csinani, welcome to our happy clan - :clap:

Curious, just how fast were you going when you shifted from 5th to 6th at 4500 rpms ?- :eyebulge:

Was your first BRZ a MT?

Warranties are not "voided", however, the dealership can "deny coverage" - :sigh:

If they are ordering you a new transmission, it sounds like they are going to warrant it. - :iono:

It's not unusual for a new transmission in these cars to be a bit "stiff" until they get broke in. However, if the dealership decided it was a bad transmission, maybe it was defective (maybe a bad synchronizer).

I don't see how the car could record your bad driving habits (as far as the transmission goes).

Nope, the MT in my 2013 FR-S shifts perfectly (as long as I don't mess up) - :D

I hope they get your car fixed up soon.


humfrz

It was just getting on the highwayso about 80 or so :D

But an update of the situation they finally orered it in and i scheduled an appoitment to gt it installed.

And yes the first BRZ was an MT.

Stang70Fastback 05-23-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csinani (Post 3213504)
Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.

Not THAT early, but I got a new transmission at 41,000 miles for the same issue.

http://www.seriesblueadventures.com/...nder-warranty/


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.